How I represent clients at Schwabe
As a real estate transactional attorney with a strong background in land use and natural resource law, I help real estate and development clients resolve problems and move forward with projects ranging from major commercial and industrial developments to natural resource use and preservation. I represent commercial, agricultural, and industrial clients, developers, and port districts in real estate transactions, financing, permitting, land use, environmental and natural resource issues, and dispute resolution. In addition, I assist clients with multi-family developments by preparing declarations of restrictive covenants and advising association governance. In all aspects of my practice, I am committed to finding practical solutions that achieve client objectives.
An engineer turned lawyer
My pragmatic counsel is rooted in years of hands-on engineering and design experience. Before practicing law, I worked for 16 years as a civil and environmental consulting engineer—managing property restoration and development, site assessments, due diligence investigations, and environmental compliance. My technical experience in property development, land use, design, construction, compliance, and finance and resource management helps me understand my clients’ businesses and translate their problems into workable solutions.
Commercial & Industrial Real Estate
- Assists commercial landowners and tenants with office and medical facility leases.
- Provides guidance to a Washington port district for the development of a deep-water bulk grain export terminal and industrial property development and leases.
- Represents industrial landowners in the acquisition of hundreds of acres of property for industrial park development, preparation of restrictive covenant and easements, and development of lease agreements.
- Works with clients in development and leasing in the hospitality sector, including hotels, restaurants, brewpubs and wineries.
- Represents farmers in the protection of fertile lands from local government actions attempting to impose flood-control measures on farmland.
- Successfully challenged a suit by timber landowners to regulatory restrictions to protect transferable development rights.
- Represented a timber company, county fire district and private property owners in lifting access restrictions imposed by U.S. Forest Service.
- Prepared declarations of covenants, conditions and restrictions for condominium and homeowner associations.
- Successfully defended a community association against a challenge to its authority under its governing documents to lease commercial businesses for the benefit of community members (Roats v. Blakely Island Maintenance Commission, Inc.).
- Seattle University, School of Law, Juris Doctor degree, cum laude (2001)
- Clarkson University, Bachelor of Science degree, Civil & Environmental Engineering (1985)
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Washington
- American Bar Association, Trusts & Real Estate and Environment, Energy & Resource Sections, Member
- King County Bar Association, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, Member
- Environmental and Water Resource Institute Member
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Member
- Government Affairs Committee (Seattle Section), Former Chair
- Architects and Engineers Legislative Council Washington, Former Chairman
- Registered Professional Engineer, Washington
- Persian Gulf War Veteran, U.S. Army (1985-1991)
- Heartbeat Serving Wounded Warriors, Program Co-chair Volunteer for fundraising event
- Washington Public Ports Association Legal Committee, Member
All things outdoors—skiing, hiking, camping and boating.
Get in touch
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox