HOW I REPRESENT SCHWABE
During my forty-year career with the firm, I helped public, private, and non-profit companies make sound decisions on the governance, structure, and finance issues that drove their futures. I provided seasoned, thoughtful guidance to clients in the healthcare, manufacturing, distribution, technology, and service industries. With an emphasis on healthcare, I worked with numerous medical and dental groups, hospitals, individuals, and related businesses.
A veteran of the corporate trenches, I formerly chaired Schwabe’s M&A practice, representing clients in hundreds of significant mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, and other transactions. I have also counseled investors and management in venture capital and angel investments, credit arrangements, changes in control, and fiduciary challenges.
Corporate counsel informed by M&A know-how
My M&A experience was especially valuable to clients in healthcare and other industries experiencing consolidation. I had a hands-on understanding of the business combination process, which helped me advise clients on corporate governance and other structures that best support their long-term objectives. I previously served as the firm’s Managing Partner from 2001 to 2017, an experience that served me well as an advisor to C-suites and boards of numerous client organizations.
Reading the healthcare tea leaves
In an era of unknowns about the future of the healthcare industry, my legislative background enabled me to provide particular insight. Before joining Schwabe, I was a legislative assistant to Oregon Senator Bob Packwood and a principal of a Washington, D.C.-based federal affairs and governmental relations consulting firm. I also monitored and influenced public policy in the healthcare arena through my work on behalf of the Oregon Business Association’s Health Policy Committee.
- Counseled a large non-profit corporation in connection with its reorganization, creating over 120 affiliated organizations in furtherance of specific asset protection and corporate governance strategies.
- Represented a large Oregon-based wholesale cooperative in connection with its merger into another cooperative, producing a combined entity with over $3 billion in revenue.
- Advised the boards of directors of large single-specialty and multi-specialty healthcare providers on governance and fiduciary issues with special implications for the healthcare industry.
- Advised boards of directors on developing and implementing governance models designed to align with and promote the corporation’s strategic plans and objectives.
- American University Washington, College of Law, Juris Doctor degree, summa cum laude (1982)
- Claremont McKenna College, Bachelor of Arts degree, cum laude (1975)
- Université de Lyon, Lyons, France, Certificat (1973) and Diplôme de Langue et de Civilisation Françaises (1974)
- Oregon State Courts (inactive)
- American Bar Association, including the Business Law and Healthcare Law Sections
- Attorney Liability Assurance Society, Managing Partner Advisory Committee Member
- Oregon State Bar, including the Sections on Health Law, Business Law and Securities Law
- Washington State Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year Award, Portland Corporate Law (2022), Portland Business Organizations (2015, 2018)
- Best Lawyers in America Award: Business Organizations, Corporate Law, and Securities/Capital Markets Law (2013-2022)
- Oregon Super Lawyers (2006–2020)
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America in the areas of business organizations, corporate and securities, and capital markets law
- Daily Journal of Commerce “Leadership in the Law” Award (2012)
- Hubbard One Excellence in Legal Marketing Award: Marketing Partner of the Year (2008)
- Gillette Award for Highest Scholastic Achievement, American University Washington College of Law (1982)
“Thoughtful Strategies for Law Firms Looking to Expand,” Strategies for Growing a Law Firm (2012)
“It Takes Two: Dual Management Model Facilitates Law Firm Innovation and Growth.” Legal Management: 6-60.
“Business Law/IP Session: Internet Deals at Internet Speed.” Commerce in the Digital Age, OSB CLE.
- Oregon Business Association, former Chairman of the Board and member of Health Policy Committee
- Oregon Business and Industries, Board and Executive Committee Member
- Oregon Graduate Institute (now part of Oregon Health and Science University), former Trustee
- Oregon Health and Science University Dean’s Advisory Committee, Past Member
- The Freshwater Trust, past Director
- Emanuel Hospital Foundation, former Vice Chair and Director
- Metropolitan Family Services, Investment Committee Member
- Loaves and Fishes, past Board Member
- Saturday Academy, past Board Member
Skiing, mountain biking, road biking, golf, travel and my most recent hobby, snow biking.
Get in touch
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox