How I represent clients at Schwabe
I advise and advocate for ports, maritime, and construction companies across Oregon and Washington. With nearly 20 years of experience representing clients in these industries, I have the insight to provide practical advice and the technical skill to try my clients’ best case.
I am a persuasive and passionate advocate for my clients. I adeptly convince judges, arbitrators, and juries of our clients’ expertise, goodwill, and vital role in our nation’s economy and culture. As a result, I have protected clients from liability and kept their operations on track in hundreds of disputes.
As Schwabe’s Ports and Maritime Industry Group Leader, I have a deep understanding of the unique challenges our clients face, from evolving regulatory schemes to occasional unjustified public distrust. My appreciation for their focus, intelligence, and safety consciousness in the face of these pressures makes me the consummate advisor and representative.
Construction from start to finish
I assist owners, design professionals, and suppliers with all phases of construction projects, claims, and litigation, even those that arise after a project is complete. My start-to-finish experience allows me to understand diverse perspectives and craft strategies that keep projects moving forward.
- Advises maritime operators and insurers regarding all varieties of casualties and contractual issues.
- Successfully tried architect’s lien foreclosure to court.
- Tried yacht construction breach of contract case to jury, prevailing on the client’s claims.
- Advises maritime operators on legal obligations regarding Jones Act and other claims.
- Tried and prevailed on a maritime salvage claim.
- University of Oregon, School of Law, Juris Doctor degree (1999)
- Washington State University, Bachelor of Arts degree (1996)
- Oregon State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court - District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Washington
- Maritime Commerce Club (Past President)
- Maritime Law Association
- OSB Admiralty Law Section
- Federal Bar Association
- Multnomah Bar Association
- Classroom Law Project, Board
- Regular Meals on Wheels Volunteer
- Frequently assists clients pro bono through the East County Legal Clinic
Chasing my kids and flipping tires.
Get in touch
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox