How I represent clients at Schwabe
I help individuals, couples, and business owners plan their estates and inter-generational transfers of assets and wealth, including all aspects of state and federal gift, estate, and income tax planning. I have earned a reputation for carefully thinking through the transfer of assets and the choice of trustees and other fiduciaries.
Flexible planning for changing times
With the changing laws and times, I recognize that adaptability is essential to successful estate-planning strategies. I am creative in using disclaimers, family agreements, and other methods to answer my clients’ needs. I help clients decide the structure and type of gifts to their children, including gifts of stock, partnerships, limited liability companies, and real estate and liquid assets. In addition, I assist clients with healthcare directives.
Creating your legacy
I often work with clients to use charitable gifts and devises for both tax and philanthropic purposes. I have helped create numerous charitable lead and remainder trusts, outright gifts, and private foundations.
- Assisted numerous trustees and personal representatives, both individuals and corporate, in the administration of trusts and estates, including tax matters. Often, these are large estates with complex assets and issues.
- Willamette University College of Law, Juris Doctor degree (1968)
- University of Miami School of Law, Master of Laws degree, Estate Planning (1976)
- Willamette University, Bachelor of Science in Law degree (1967)
- Oregon State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court - District of Oregon
- U.S. Tax Courts
- Portland Estate Planning Council, Member
- Portland Estate Planning Council, President (1987-1988)
- Portland State University Foundation Board of Trustees, Former Member
- American College of Trust and Estates Council, Fellow (1990-present)
- Best Lawyers in America Award, Trusts and Estates (1989-2022)
- Super Lawyers Award, Law & Politics magazine
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Pre-eminent rating
- Oregon Super Lawyers, Estate Planning & Probate (2016-2018)
- Oregon College of Arts and Crafts, Board of Directors, Former Member
- Oregon College of Arts and Crafts, Foundation Board, Former Member
- Robert W. Franz Cancer Research Leadership Cabinet at Providence Hospital, Portland, Emeritus Member
The annual deer and elk hunt with family and friends is a must!
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox