How I represent clients at Schwabe
I bring extensive intellectual property law experience and deep technical knowledge to aid my clients in building patent portfolios that support their overall business goals. I represent clients with diverse technologies, including semiconductor devices and processing, software anti-piracy, communication, speech and handwriting recognition, image and video processing, and bioinformatics, among others. With a wide variety of intellectual property experience, I offer services for opinion letters, patent licenses, and strategic patent counseling.
- Created global IP strategy in alignment with a start-up’s business goals, resulting in a patent portfolio that generated millions of dollars in licensing revenue and withstood repeated invalidity challenges.
- Developed a patent portfolio for a start-up related to a wearable device that Google purchased, and another portfolio that Samsung licensed.
- Advised business executives and the boards of various clients and determined strategic areas for patenting as well as identified patentable subject matter.
- Prepared a large e-commerce client for potential litigation by generating a portfolio of non-infringement opinions.
- A named inventor on:
- Hybrid Artificial Intelligence System For Semi-Automatic Patent Infringement, US US20210056261A1, published February 25, 2021.
- Multipurpose Navigation Keys for an Electronic Imaging Device, US 7,222,307, issued May 22, 2007.
- Method and System for Automatically Configuring a Hand-Held Camera Using Wireless Communication to Improve Image Quality, US 6,970,189, issued November 29, 2005.
- Method and System for Hosting an Internet Web Site on a Digital Camera, US 6,567,122, issued May 20, 2003.
- Santa Clara University School of Law, Juris Doctor degree (1992)
- Ohio State University, Bachelor of Science degree, Computer Information Science (1986)
- California State Courts
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Patent Bar, Member
- California State Bar Association, Member
- Silicon Valley Intellectual Property Law Association (SVIPLA), President (2003-2004)
- SVIPLA, Officer and Board Member (1999-2005)
“A Proposal for Classifying Claims for Software Programs as a Statutory Machine or Manufacture,” New Matter, Intellectual Property Section, State Bar of California (1995).
- Community Services Agency of Mountain View and Los Altos, Board Member (2015-2021)
Sports: skiing, tennis, mountain biking. Video games. Chess.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox