How I represent clients at Schwabe
As a nationally recognized business trial attorney with over three decades of experience, I strategically utilize all dispute resolution forums to achieve my clients’ goals efficiently. With the insight gained as a result of repeatedly guiding clients to successful outcomes in large-scale commercial litigation, I am often called upon to serve as outside general counsel, advising regarding significant finance transactions and asset acquisitions.
Litigation advancing business objectives
While litigation is often necessary to advance business objectives, an early, informed, and honest assessment of the probable outcome will lead to the most successful resolution of almost any business dispute. I know that what matters is whether litigation results (from a cost-benefit perspective) meet or exceed my client’s business objectives and expectations.
Finance, bankruptcy litigation and federal equity receiverships
- Currently acting as general counsel and lead litigation counsel for the SEC-designated and federal court-appointed Receiver in the Aequitas matter (Securities and Exchange Commission v. Aequitas Management, LLC, et al., U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon, Case No. 3:16-cv-00438-JR), arising from the collapse of a Ponzi scheme involving the fraudulent use of approximately $557 million of investor funds. Troy’s efforts have already assisted defrauded investors to recover the majority of their investments. Based on current projections, those investors will ultimately recover over 80 percent of their investments with some recovering over 90 percent.
- Served as lead trial counsel in a successful $375 million fraudulent transfer and equitable subordination action for the Yellowstone Club, proving that a global financial institution engaged in predatory lending.
- Secured summary judgment dismissal of securities claims in excess of $26 million against one of the most prominent broker-dealers in the country.
- In 2018 alone, successfully negotiated contracts for the provision of 280 MW of electricity, including the construction of associated multi-million dollar facilities.
- In a matter with extensive national media coverage, secured a permanent injunction preventing disclosure of confidential, proprietary data of a large, multi-state investor-owned utility.
- Successfully defended a manufacturer against multi-million dollar trade practices claims brought by a competing foreign manufacturer in Illinois federal court.
- Successfully defended a prominent international vacation and hospitality provider against multi-million dollar copyright infringement claims brought by a photographer in Washington federal court.
- Assisted numerous clients in rebranding and securing registration of market-leading trademarks.
- Willamette University, College of Law, Juris Doctor degree (1989)
- Whitman College, Bachelor of Arts degree (1986)
- Oregon State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. District Court - District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Washington
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- Complex Commercial Litigation Institute, Member
- Schwabe Board of Directors, Member
- IP Stars Washington (2020)
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent, Peer Review Rated
- Selected to the Washington Super Lawyers List, Commercial Litigation (2008-2016)
- Seattle Metropolitan Magazine, Top Lawyer in Intellectual Property award
Speaker, “Copyright in the Arts,” Kirkland Arts Center
Speaker, “Copyright and Trademarks for Authors,” Pacific Northwest Writers Association
Speaker, “Surveys in Trademark Litigation,” Defense Research Institute Intellectual Property Seminar
Speaker, “Trademarks and Copyright for General Counsel,” PwC Corporate Counsel Forum.
- King County Boys & Girls Clubs, Board of Directors, Former Member
- Bainbridge Island Little League, Board of Directors, Former Member
- Coached hundreds of children and young adults in hockey and fast-pitch softball
Fly-fishing, mountain biking and taking “just one more” ski run with my wife Kelly, daughter Taylor and son Jordan.
Get in touch
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox