Alicia "Lisa" L. Lowe
Lisa Lowe is committed to delivering value in all aspects of her diverse practice, which serves both ports and estate planning clients. As the partner in charge of Schwabe’s Vancouver office, she is skilled in matching tasks with talent and managing complex and straightforward matters cost-effectively.
Smooth sailing for ports
Lisa has worked with the Port of Vancouver for over 24 years, serving as its general counsel for over 12 years. She provides general counsel services for other ports on an as-needed basis, including drafting, reviewing and negotiating real estate transaction documents; advising on the Washington Public Records Act and Public Meetings Act; managing litigation and other legal work; and offering day-to-day general recommendations on compliance, legal risks, legal strategies, and legislative and constitutional authority.
Lisa currently serves as the Chair of the Washington Public Ports Association’s (WPPA) Legal Committee, the first non-port employee to serve as chair of any WPPA committee. Her port and community experience gives her the ability to work effectively within the political environments of small to midsize communities and municipalities.
Family and business estate planning solutions
Lisa’s estate planning and wealth transfer practice spans all areas of estate planning, including trusts, guardianships and probate. She has represented numerous clients with multimillion dollar estates and has advised personal representatives and trustees on estate, tax and trust issues. She is regularly appointed Special Representative to assist in complicated family trust matters, and provides representation in business succession planning for businesses and estate planning.
- Represented the Port of Vancouver in reviewing Washington constitutional and statutory authority for the Port’s involvement as purchaser and subsequent lessor in the development of a special events center.
- Challenging constitutionality of law allowing annexation by a neighboring two-name port district, on behalf of the Port of Vancouver.
- Analyzed the authority of four port districts to obtain land for dredge material outside of their representative port districts.
- Represented the Port of Vancouver in a complicated settlement involving Columbia River Channel Deepening, development of Port real property and ultimate transfer of a portion of the property subject to a conservation easement to a non-profit land trust.
- Negotiated agreement among all beneficiaries of an estate/trust to allow early distribution prior to parent’s death, thereby avoiding estate taxes.
- Represented numerous minor beneficiaries in attempts by adult beneficiaries to terminate trusts early and to revise trust provisions of irrevocable trusts for clarification and tax purposes, including trusts with assets well in excess of $1 million.
- Established pet trust provisions for various clients.
- Integrated estate planning into business succession plans for various closely held businesses.
Memberships & Awards
- Washington State Bar Association, Real Property, Probate and Trust, and Business Law Sections, Member
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Probate and Trust, and Business Law Sections, Member
- Southwest Washington Estate Planning Council, Member, Former Secretary
- Washington Public Ports Association Legal Committee, Chair
- Iris Awards - Woman of Achievement 2013
Resources & Ideas
- January 18, 2013
- The Columbian, January 31, 2017
- Vancouver Business Journal, August 5, 2016
- June 29, 2016
- October 2, 2015
- Lisa Lowe Appointed Chair of Community Foundation's Professional Advisory Council Steering CommitteeMay 16, 2013
- March 1, 2012
- June 30, 2010
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Hilton Vancouver, 301 W 6th St, Vancouver, WA 98660, January 20, 2016
- Daily Journal of Commerce, December 5, 2013
- Columbia River Economic Development Council, Secretary
- Identity Clark County, Board of Directors, Past Chair (2012-2013)
- Vancouver Business Journal Strategic Partners, Member
- Humane Society for Southwest Washington, Past Board Member; Planned Giving Committee and Auction Committee, Member
- The Community Foundation of Southwest Washington, Professional Advisory Council Steering Committee, Chair
- Leadership Clark County, Graduate (2003)
- Camas/Washougal Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, Past President (2005-2006)
- Southwest Washington Independent Forward Thrust, Past Board Member
- Lewis & Clark CollegeBachelor of Arts degree (1982)
- Northwestern School of Law, Lewis & Clark CollegeJuris Doctor degree (1985)
Washington State Courts
United States District Court, Western District of Washington
United States Supreme Court
Outside The Office
- Wine tasting trips with friends.