Derrick A. De Vera
As a born and raised Seattleite, Derrick De Vera understands and appreciates the Pacific Northwest economy and its drivers. He is a forceful, creative advocate for clients involved in business disputes and other contract issues throughout Washington.
Derrick represents clients of all sizes, including small-business owners in manufacturing and distribution, construction and professional services, as well as large financial institutions. His collaborative style helps him understand and pursue his clients’ big-picture goals.
Derrick’s strong community ties provide valuable insight into local courts and government operations. Before becoming a lawyer, he worked with current Washington Supreme Court Justice Mary Yu at the King County Superior Court, and for former King County Council Member Larry Phillips.
- Advised service distributors with state permitting requirements and compliance.
- Counseled community and national banks in default matters.
- Secured multi-million dollar judgment and acquired assets for local lender.
- Directed entities on free speech rights in state and national parks.
- Defended regional construction contractor in project dispute.
- Assisted in resolution of multi-party dispute for professional services client.
- Protected manufacturing supplier’s contract interests.
- Prevailed on summary judgment motion regarding premises and property issues.
Memberships & Awards
- Washington State Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association (ABA), Member
- Schwabe, First-Year Diversity Fellow (2013)
- University of Washington School of Law, CALI Award for Excellence in Legislation (2014)
- University of Washington School of Law, CALI Award for Excellence in Forensics/Expert Witnesses (2015)
Resources & Ideas
- October 14, 2016
- September 14, 2016
- King County Bar Bulletin, March 2016
“Litigating Your Taste Buds: A More Appetizing Kind of Discovery,” King County Bar Association Bar Bulletin (2014)
Diversity in Law: A Long-Term, But Necessary Investment
King County Bar Bulletin, November 2016
- Filipino Lawyers of Washington, Member
- Seattle CityClub, Member
- Immigrant Families Advocacy Project, Volunteer (2012-2015)
- Institute for a Democratic Future (IDF), 2017 Fellow
- Asian Pacific Islander Americans for Civic Empowerment, Board Member
- APACEVotes, Vice President
- University of WashingtonBachelor of Arts degree, Communication and Political Science, cum laude (2012)
- University of Washington School of LawJuris Doctor degree (2015)
Washington State Courts
United States District Court, Western District of Washington
Outside The Office
- Swinging for the fences at local parks, supporting my favorite Seattle sports teams and enjoying the city’s great food and coffee.