Legal professionals play a critical role in making Schwabe a top-rated Pacific Northwest law firm and a great place to work. We seek highly motivated team players who are committed to providing superior client service. From paralegals to legal assistants and project managers to office assistants and file clerks, your talent and knowledge will be respected and rewarded at Schwabe.
IP Legal Secretary/Assistant – Seattle
The Seattle office is recruiting for an experienced Intellectual Property Legal Secretary/Assistant.
Duties include general secretarial support, as well as:
- Creating templates for communications with the USPTO
- Drafting correspondence, engagement letters to clients and other documents as required
- Obtaining and downloading documents from USPTO web site
- Opening new client files and assisting in major portfolio intakes (related to patents)
- Preparing docket reports, maintaining attorney docket and calendar, and managing client and referral contact database
- Reviewing and learning outside counsel guidelines for various clients
- Processing and saving incoming mail, including correspondence from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, in a file management system, such as FileSite
- Proofreading of documents as required
- Providing travel arrangements for attorneys as required
The ideal candidate will possess a minimum three years of current IP secretarial experience, administrative skills and computer proficiency using MS Office applications. Experience with Visio and IP databases, such as Inprotech, CPI, etc., is a plus. A strong attention to detail, organizational and written and oral communication skills, as well as the ability to work in a team environment is a must.
If you or anyone you know is interested and qualified, please submit a resume and cover letter with salary requirements to Melissa Tofell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
File Clerk – Portland
The firm has an opening for a full-time File Clerk in their Portland office. Duties include inserting paperwork into existing files, keeping correspondence current and in chronological order, organizing and indexing pleadings, creating inserts for other materials to be filed, and searching for missing files. Projects could include working on large cases where documents need to be numbered and organized into binders, and articles of reference that need to be copied and indexed into binders.
Qualified and interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter to Melissa Tofell, Legal Support Services Manager at email@example.com.
Office Manager - Seattle
Position Summary: This manager will possess a leadership style that is proactive, positive, and focused on building great relationships. Success in this role requires strong emotional intelligence, a great deal of flexibility, diplomacy and outstanding judgment. This leader must be able to motivate, inspire and gain trust and credibility with attorneys and staff across the firm.
This position is a combination of tactical human resource work, requiring strong technical skills, and on the floor leadership, regularly engaging and driving performance. This manager works as part of a highly collaborative team to develop secretarial services programs and initiatives and implement strategies.
Duties and Responsibilities: Responsible for directly managing the Seattle office Legal Secretaries, Seattle Office File Clerks, and other support staff. The Manager acts as a liaison between Schwabe and the employees of the support services contract in Seattle managed by Ricoh.
- As a manager for the firm, it is expected that you will serve on various committees, as well as formal and informal tasks forces. Committee and Task Force membership will be decided with input from the CTO.
- Work closely with Talent Team initiatives to promote successful recruiting, professional development, and employee morale.
- Maintain adequate staffing levels in Seattle office. This includes recruiting, hiring, and assignment of job responsibilities with direction from the CTO.
- Work with the paralegal supervisor to support attorneys and paralegals on work flow, case staffing, as well as case and project management.
- Direct and supervise the office non-attorney and non-paralegal staff in the Seattle office, including promotion recommendations, preparation of performance evaluations, disciplinary actions and terminations with the supervision of the CTO.
- Arrange day-to-day secretarial coverage to ensure that adequate support is available in the Seattle office. Coordinate requests for work assistance with available staff, provide vacation and sick leave replacements and approve overtime.
- Assist with the development, implementation and administration of the firm's personnel policies, procedures and systems; compensatory and overtime practices, hiring and discipline.
- Manage the firm relationship with the travel vendor.
- Work closely with the Seattle Partner in Charge (PIC) to manage daily operations in the office including office events and celebrations, supporting onboarding of new attorneys and staff, and other functions as requested by the CTO and PIC.
- Assist with client events as requested by the Chief Client Relations Officer (CCRO) in the Seattle office or in the community.
- Budget Planning with the input of the Seattle Partner in Charge in regards to specific office needs.
- Participation in SPI Recruiting and Lateral Recruiting process when requested.
- Seattle Shareholder monthly meeting attendance.
- Responsible for general office management for Seattle which includes oversight of the general office maintenance and communications surrounding office alerts.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor's Degree in HR or related field.
- Two years of HR generalist or management experience; three years of direct supervisory experience.
- Strongly Desired: Advanced Degree or strong background in one of the following areas: coaching, training, psychology/behavior or organizational development; previous experience as a legal secretary.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills; must have the ability to retain and manage a high level of detail.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively with a diverse group of attorneys and staff and provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact, while safeguarding confidentiality; strong skills in business writing and documentation.
- Must demonstrate high level listening skills.
- Strong skills in MS Office: with intermediate to advanced skills in Excel
- Must be able to understand and follow law office procedures.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of human resources administration: including employee relations, employment law and metrics.
- Ability to operate general office equipment efficiently.
- Understanding, assisting in creating and properly utilizing financial information and data, statistics and reports relative to paralegal performance, utilization, profitability and achievement.
- Personality traits include strategic thinker, efficient, self-starter, articulate, calm, reasonable, a good listener, creative, positive, loyal, open-minded and achievement oriented.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accounts Receivable/Billing Specialist - Portland
Schwabe is seeking a full-time Accounts Receivable/Billing Specialist in their Portland office.
Primary duties include:
- Billing, including E-billing
- General accounting duties
- Spreadsheet maintenance
The successful candidate will have:
- 4+ years collections/billing experience
- Law firm experience and Elite/Enterprise Time and Billing a plus
- Strong math and proofreading skills
- Excellent data entry skills
- Superior written and verbal communications
- Advanced MS Excel experience
- High attention to detail and accuracy and ability to multi-task
The successful candidate must be a team player with excellent communication skills and be able to work in a fast paced environment.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and specific information about experience to Liz Russell, Accounting Manager, at email@example.com.
Chief Talent Officer