Aaron M. Laing
Aaron Laing helps property owners, developers and investors navigate Washington’s increasingly complex land use regulatory framework. He is known for his thoughtful, comprehensive, and strategic approach to land use and entitlement issues.
Aaron has significant experience with a broad range of entitlement issues including vesting, title disputes, SEPA mitigation, rezones, shoreline regulations and regulatory takings. His statewide practice covers projects ranging from master planned resorts, urban core high-rises, and multifamily/mixed-use infill, to residential subdivisions and custom homes.
Although Aaron frequently represents clients in administrative appeals and state and federal courts, he prefers to help clients avoid litigation and move projects forward in a timely, efficient manner. As a trained mediator, Aaron provides valuable insight on when and how alternative dispute resolution methods may benefit his clients.
"Aaron Laing provides exceptional, diligent, loyal representation and serves as a good point of contact to other lawyers in the firm that provide services I need."
- Negotiated a development agreement and rezone to allow phased development of a large master-planned resort community on the Washington coast.
- Obtained a rezone to allow for additional height to support the viability of a large mixed-use project in north Seattle.
- Assisted in amending a conditional use permit to increase student enrollment at a nonprofit private school in east King County.
- Defended a SEPA appeal brought against a subdivision in Pierce County, which allowed the project to proceed on time and as proposed.
- Resolved an easement dispute with a large public utility that threatened to halt a project.
Memberships & Awards
- City of Bellevue’s Planning Commission (2012-present), Chair (2014-2015)
- International Council of Shopping Centers, Washington State Government Relations Chair
- Washington State Bar Association’s Environmental and Land Use Law Steering Committee
- Washington Rising Stars (2005-2010)
Resources & Ideas
- October 18, 2017
- September 9, 2014
- December 7, 2012
- June 28, 2012
- Volunteered as a youth mentor and soccer coach for over 20 years
- Bellevue Youth Soccer Club, Board Member
- University of Washington School of LawJuris Doctor degree
- University of New MexicoBachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi
- University of WashingtonMaster of Arts degree
Washington State Courts
United States Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Washington
Outside The Office
- Enjoying soccer as a coach and player.