Andy Lee helps businesses and nonprofits navigate the dangers posed by Oregon law and unfriendly venues. He defends product manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies and youth-serving organizations in high-value personal injury claims. He also litigates complex commercial and securities matters. Clients rely on Andy in a variety of contexts, including non-traditional litigation such as pre-filing mediation or consolidated proceedings. He has experience litigating claims in relation to multi-district litigation and class actions, as well as those related to bankruptcy proceedings and receiverships.
Andy is also a member of Schwabe’s Appellate group. He has worked on appeals before the Oregon Court of Appeals, the Oregon Supreme Court and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Prevailed on class representatives’ personal injury claims against an industrial tool manufacturer.
- Obtained a rare summary judgment for a nonprofit facing a decades-old sex abuse claim, and successfully defended that judgment on appeal to the Ninth Circuit.
- Obtained a rare summary judgment for a nonprofit facing a decades-old sex abuse claim in Multnomah County.
- Represented the only landowner in Oregon to prevail on appeal of a money judgment from a Measure 37 claim, which entitled her to $1.15 million in compensation and her attorney fees.
- Authored an article for the Oregon defense bar that accurately predicted several types of claims for which defendants could obtain the benefits of Oregon’s statutory limit on noneconomic damages over previously successful constitutional challenges by plaintiffs.
Memberships & Awards
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, Member (OADC)
- Defense Research Institute, Member (DRI)
- Oregon State Bar, Products Liability Section Executive Committee, Member, Secretary, Treasurer, and Chair Elect (2009-2013)
- National Trial Competition, Regional Runner-Up (2002)
- University of Oregon School of Law, order of the coif (2002)
- University of Oregon School of Law, Outstanding Oral Advocate (2002)
- University of Oregon School of Law, Dean’s Scholarship (1999 - 2002)
- University of Oregon School of Law, Intra-school Mock Trial Tournament Winner (2000, 2001, 2002)
- Midwest Conference, First Team, All Conference for Soccer (1996, 1997)
Resources & Ideas
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
Oregon chapters, Product Liability Desk Reference—A Fifty-state Compendium (2013, 2014, 2015).
- December 26, 2012
- Portland City Club, member of research committee regarding bicycle transportation in Portland
- Grant High School, Mock Trial Coach (1997-2015)
- Classroom Law Project, Mock Trial Tournament Organizer (2009-2011)
- Club soccer, midfielder
- University of Oregon School of LawJuris Doctor degree, order of the coif (2002)
- Grinnell CollegeBachelor of Arts degree, Mathematics (1998)
Oregon State Courts
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
United States District Court, District of Oregon
Outside The Office
- Adventure travel.