Anne M. Talcott
Anne Talcott defends her clients’ most valuable asset: the reputation of their products and services. She has more than 24 years of complex litigation experience representing national and regional healthcare providers and some of the world’s largest pharmaceutical, medical device, and biologic manufacturers and distributors.
Anne’s clients also include those facing product liability attacks related to supplements, food, cosmetics, automobiles, heavy-duty trucks, industrial equipment, forest products, construction and agricultural equipment, recreational vehicles, and consumer products.
Applying the knowledge and experience gained in defending hundreds of products in litigation, Anne advises clients on product warnings, labeling, instructions, recalls, compliance, risk assessments, crisis communications, and navigating governmental investigations. In addition to her work in Oregon and Washington, Anne has been retained as regional counsel to represent her clients in Alaska, Idaho, California, and Nevada and has served on several national trial teams. She regularly defends MDLs, class actions, wrongful death, catastrophic injury, punitive damage, and constitutional claims.
In 2020, Anne was elected Secretary-Treasurer of the Defense Research Institute (DRI), the largest international organization of defense trial lawyers and corporate counsel. She served as a National Director on the Board of DRI from 2017-2020. Anne has served on the DRI Drug and Medical Device Steering Committee for over 20 years, and previously was the Chair of the DRI Product Liability Committee from 2015 to 2017. She is a past Chair of the Oregon State Bar Product Liability Section, and a former Board member of the Oregon Association of Defense Counsel (OADC).
Anne is a Super Lawyer for product liability defense. She also serves as the Industry Group Leader for Schwabe’s Healthcare and Life Sciences industry group.
- Served as lead regional counsel coordinating multi-state team that defended global pharmaceutical manufacturer in mass tort litigation involving over 7000 claims nationwide. Collaborated with national team to aggressively defend cases resulting in dismissal of vast majority of claims.
- Obtained summary judgment prior to protracted discovery as lead trial counsel for international specialty biologic manufacturer in case of first impression.
- Won defense verdict as co-lead counsel for heavy-duty truck manufacturer in wrongful death case involving claims of crashworthiness.
- Defended automotive manufacturer’s restraint system as lead trial counsel, obtaining directed verdict after close of plaintiff’s case.
Memberships & Awards
- DRI, Secretary-Treasurer (2020-present)
- DRI, National Director, Board of Directors (2017-2020)
- DRI, Board Liaison, Data Privacy Committee (2018-2020)
- DRI, Product Liability Committee Chair (2015-2017)
- DRI, Drug and Medical Device Committee Steering Committee Member (2001-present); Committee Publications Chair (2009-2015)
- DRI Annual Meeting Chair (2011)
- OADC Board member
- Oregon State Bar Disciplinary Board member
- Oregon State Bar Product Liability Section Chair (2003); Executive Committee member (1998-2004)
- Multnomah Bar Association Judicial Screening Committee Chair (2011-2012); Committee member (2009-2012)
- Multnomah Bar Association Court Liaison Committee Chair (2008-2009); Committee member (2006-2009)
- DRI, Richard H. Krochock Award (for Exemplary mentorship to the DRI Young Lawyers Committee), 2011
- Super Lawyer for Product Liability Defense
- Oregon Super Lawyers, Personal Injury - Products Liability (2016-2019)
Resources & Ideas
- November 4, 2020
- Super LawyersJuly 5, 2019
- 33 Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt Attorneys Named to Oregon Super Lawyers and Rising Stars List in 2018Super LawyersJuly 24, 2018
- Designation honors attorneys in the top 5 percent of their legal fieldJuly 10, 2017
- August 1, 2016
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
"Making Voir Dire More Effective With a Jury Questionnaire" Oregon Association of Defense Counsel Annual Meeting, Sunriver, OR (2012)
"Hot Topics in Drug and Medical Device Law," DRI Drug and Medical Device Seminar, Chicago, IL (2011)
- Northwest Children’s Theater, Board Member
- Volunteer: Lincoln High School Dance Team, Lincoln High School Track Team, West Sylvan Middle School Track Team, Multnomah Athletic Club Swim Team
- University of California, San DiegoBachelor of Arts degree in Political Science (1991)
- University of Oregon School of LawJuris Doctor degree (1996)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
United States Supreme Court
United States District Court, Eastern District of Washington
United States District Court, Western District of Washington
United States District Court, District of Oregon
Outside The Office
- Running half marathons, coaching distance runners on the West Sylvan Middle School and Lincoln High School track teams, and co-captaining Schwabe’s Hood to Coast team for six years.