Christopher Slottee has over 15 years of experience handling complex commercial, corporate, and litigation matters, specifically working with Alaska native corporations, Alaska native corporation settlement trusts, and tribal governments. Christopher’s previous experience as vice president and general counsel for an Alaska native corporation gives him an invaluable understanding of the inner workings of Alaska native corporations and the unique challenges they face. He is well versed in issues of corporate governance, legal and risk management, government contracting, bid protests, corporate transactions, and mergers and acquisitions.
Christopher provides guidance related to the Small Business Administration’s (SBA) small business programs, including SBA’s Section 8(a) and HUBZone Business Development Programs. Christopher has advised clients regarding 8(a) and small business joint ventures, regulatory compliance with the Federal Acquisition Regulations, requests for equitable adjustment and claims, and provided strategic advice regarding utilization of the SBA’s small business programs. He also advises Alaska native corporations and tribal entities regarding federal funding opportunities and grant compliance, including CARES Act and American Rescue Plan Act compliance issues.
Christopher has extensive experience providing advice regarding creating, managing, and leveraging the unique characteristics of Alaska native corporation settlement trusts.
Alaska Native Corporations and Native American law
- Represented several ANCs in the creation of new Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) settlement trusts and substantive amendments to existing ANCSA settlement trusts.
- Represented and assisted an ANC in the contribution of significant amounts of surface estate to an ANCSA settlement trust.
- Advised a client on the creation, management, and use of a captive insurer as part of its risk management and insurance program, resulting in significant savings on insurance costs.
- Assisted in developing and promoting state and federal legislation beneficial to ANCs, including serving a material role in drafting and advocating for the ANC settlement trust tax legislation passed in 2017.
- Advised several ANCs and non-profit entities regarding eligible use of CARES Act funds and leveraging of federal funding opportunities, including ARPA funds provided to tribal entities.
- Advised Alaska native corporations and their subsidiaries on compliance with Federal Acquisition Regulations and federal government contractor vaccine mandate.
Business and corporate
- Represented a seller in the multi-million dollar sale of a hospitality business.
- Represented a seller in the multi-million dollar sale of road contractor.
- Represented a seller in the drafting and negotiation of submarine fiber optic cable for $20 million.
- Represented a guarantor in a complex financing arrangement involving letters of credit and pledges of the guarantor’s assets for the construction of a $20 million assisted living facility.
- Represented an oil field services company on a multimillion-dollar acquisition of a competitor’s assets on the North Slope.
- Represented a purchaser in the multimillion-dollar acquisition of a professional engineering firm and a government contracting entity.
- Represented an owner on the construction and financing of multiple microwave facilities in remote Alaska.
Litigation and dispute resolution
- Represented a municipal government in personal injury litigation involving 1983 claims, sovereign immunity, and tribal immunity.
- Represented a municipal government in complex litigation involving issues of separation of powers, inverse condemnation, and breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing arising out of construction of deep-water dock and legislative changes to the municipal government’s forest management plan.
- Represented a municipal government in complex litigation with a landowner over obligations arising out of a municipal landfill and sale of methane gas.
- Represented a plaintiff in a sexual abuse case against an assisted living home that resulted in the Alaska Supreme Court adopting the aided-in-agency theory of vicarious liability in Alaska.
- Successfully obtained a dismissal of claims against a municipal government on summary judgment in an inverse condemnation case through application of the statute of repose.
- Successfully obtained a reversal of the trial court on appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit of an adverse summary judgment decision in a Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA) case.
- Successfully represented an investor in a week-long Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitration case against a broker-dealer based on a misrepresentation claim.
Memberships & Awards
- Alaska Bar Association (2002-present)
- Alaska Civil Pattern Jury Instructions Committee, appointment by Alaska Supreme Court (2014-present)
- Access to Civil Justice Committee, appointment by Alaska Supreme Court (2014-present)
- Environmental Law Review, Editor (2000-2001)
- Washington State Bar Association (2020-present)
- Oregon Bar Association (2020-present)
- Best Lawyers in America Award, Commercial Litigation (2021-2022)
- Alaska Attorney General’s Award for Pro Bono Service, Alaska Network on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault (October 2020) NEWS 51
Resources & Ideas
- Best LawyersAugust 19, 2021
- State of Alaska Department of LawOctober 27, 2020
- August 20, 2020
- Law360July 24, 2020
- Law.comJuly 17, 2020
- Bloomberg LawJuly 13, 2020
- Schwabe Strengthens Natural Resources and Alaska Native Presence with Key Hires in Anchorage Office ExpansionJuly 8, 2020
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate Compliance for Federal Contractors in the Real Estate and Construction IndustryNovember 8, 2021
- 37th Annual Alaska Native Law ConferenceOctober 30, 2021
- Cares Act, Federal Mandates, & Carbon CreditsTax Executives InstituteSeptember 29, 2021
- Alaska Native Village Conference Association: Annual Business ConferenceAugust 27, 2021
- National 8(a) Association: 2021 Alaska Regional ConferenceAugust 24, 2021
- National 8(a) Association: 2021 Alaska Regional ConferenceAugust 23, 2021
- May 27, 2021
Speaker, National Center for American Indian Enterprise Development
Reservation Economic Summit 2020
March 1-5, 2020
Speaker, Advanced Government Contracting for ANC Executives & Board Members
The National 8(a) Small Business Conference
February 11-13, 2020
Presenter, Tax Issues Regarding Alaska Native Corporation Settlement Trusts
Tax Executives Institute, Alaska Chapter
October 10, 2019
Panelist, SBA and Government Contracts Training: Effectively Managing Multiple Subsidiaries in the 8(a) Program and Beyond—Advanced Level Intensive
National 8(a) Association's 2019 Alaska Regional Summer Conference
June 18-19, 2019
Panelist, Overview of Alaska Native Corporation Settlement Trusts After 2017 Tax Act Alaska Native Settlement Trusts
Alaska Native Village Conference
May 8-9, 2019
Panelist, ANCSA Update—Alaska Native Settlement Trusts; Presenter, Native Edge Institute: Contracting & Procurement
National Reservation Economic Summit
March 25-28, 2019
Speaker, Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) Settlement Trusts
Alaska Bar Association's 34th Annual Alaska Native Law Conference
October 9, 2018
- January 25, 2022
- January 19, 2022
- January 14, 2022
- January 14, 2022
- January 13, 2022
- January 11, 2022
- January 5, 2022
- January 4, 2022
- December 21, 2021
- December 20, 2021
- Safer Federal Workforce Publishes Update Regarding Court Injunctions Against Federal Contractor Vaccine MandateDecember 10, 2021
- December 9, 2021
- December 8, 2021
- December 3, 2021
- President Biden Reinstates a Version of the Nondisplacement of Qualified Workers Under Service Contracts Executive OrderNovember 24, 2021
- Implementation of OSHA’s 11/5/2021 Emergency Temporary Standard Stayed by Fifth Circuit Court of AppealsNovember 17, 2021
- After the Economic Aid Act: An Updated Guide, Part 4November 15, 2021
- November 10, 2021
- November 4, 2021
- October 13, 2021
- September 10, 2021
- Asking for Forgiveness: Further Revised PPP Loan Forgiveness Applications and Guidance (Updated 08/12/2021)August 12, 2021
- August 3, 2021
- First Draw Loans at or Over $2 million—SBA Discontinues Use of Necessity Questionnaires and What Is NextAugust 3, 2021
- What to Know about the Paycheck Protection Program, Round Two – First Draw PPP Loans (Updated 5/5/2021)May 5, 2021
- 10 Things to Know about Second Draw PPP Loans as Updated for the Economic Aid Act and the ARP Act (Updated 5/5/2021)May 5, 2021
- PPP Ineligibility Update: Businesses Ineligible for First Draw and Second Draw PPP Loans (Updated 4/8/2021)April 8, 2021
- March 25, 2021
- American Rescue Plan Act: Changes to Paycheck Protection Program, Certain Tax and ERISA Provisions, and Other Small Business ReliefMarch 12, 2021
- New 14-day exclusive period for businesses with fewer than 20 employees starts February 24February 23, 2021
- January 27, 2021
- After the Economic Aid Act: An Updated Guide to the PPP Loan Forgiveness Review and Appeals Process, Part 1January 26, 2021
- After the Economic Aid Act: An Updated Guide to the PPP Loan Forgiveness Review and Appeals Process, Part 2January 26, 2021
- After the Economic Aid Act: An Updated Guide to the PPP Loan Forgiveness Review and Appeals Process, Part 3January 26, 2021
- Highlights of PPP Loan Items in the Economic Aid to Hard-Hit Small Businesses, Nonprofits, and Venues Act and 2021 Consolidated Appropriations Act (Updated 01/06/2021)January 6, 2021
- December 30, 2020
- November 18, 2020
- November 5, 2020
- August 19, 2020
- August 12, 2020
Fifty-State Survey of Legal Malpractice, The Law of Lawyers’ Liability, Author, State of Alaska Chapter, American Bar Association, January 1, 2012
- Alaska Network on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault, pro bono legal representation (2010-present)
- Lewis & Clark Law SchoolJuris Doctor degree, cum laude (2001)
- University of UtahBachelor of Science degree, Political Science and Government (1998)
Alaska State Courts
Alaska Federal Courts
Oregon State Courts
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Washington State Courts
Outside The Office
- Snowshoeing at my cabin.