Bert Ray helps clients navigate the myriad of issues facing the transportation, ports and maritime industry. His diverse legal background and commitment to understanding the intricacies of his clients’ needs results in a multifaceted approach to translating problems into workable solutions.
Bert has 30 years of experience representing ship owners and operators, P&I Clubs and insurers. Bert delivers practical and actionable counsel to his clients in the maritime industry and beyond, including providing advice regarding insurance coverage.
As environmental laws and regulations become more complex and demanding, Bert assists clients with guidance on regulation and litigation matters in the maritime, insurance and energy sectors.
- Successfully recovered well in excess of $150 million for clients over the course of his career, with the largest recovery just under $100 million.
- Extensive civil and criminal claims experience arising from large oil spills.
- Represented ship owners and their insurers in numerous marine casualties, including the total loss of a large commercial vessel and rigs, government investigations and casualty investigations.
- Skilled in white-collar criminal investigations of clients in heavily regulated industries, including marine salvage, medical malpractice and personal injury claims.
- Handled numerous natural resource damages assessments under the Oil Pollution Act of 1990.
Memberships & Awards
- American Maritime Cases, Anchorage Editor (1994-present)
- Litigation Counsel of America
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Super Lawyers (2011-2020)
- Best Lawyers in America Award, Admiralty and Maritime Law (2007-2021)
- Who’s Who Legal (Shipping)
Resources & Ideas
- August 20, 2020
- August 3, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- August 1, 2019
- Super LawyersJuly 27, 2018
- The Alaska Bar RagJune 20, 2018
- April 13, 2018
- University of Oregon School of LawJuris Doctor degree, Ocean and Coastal Law (1988)
- George Mason UniversityMaster of Science degree, Environmental Biology (1985)
- College of William & MaryBachelor of Science degree, Biology/Philosophy (1982)
Alaska State Courts
Washington State Courts
Outside The Office
- Spending time in the great outdoors.