Jamee B. Asher
Jamee Asher represents owners, managers, borrowers, and lenders throughout the United States in commercial real estate transactions, including acquisitions, dispositions, leasing, easements, and real estate–secured financing. Recognized by Chambers USA as an “Associate to Watch,” Jamee has earned the trust of many clients who rely on her diligence. She endeavors to provide practical, meaningful legal advice through her abilities to synthesize information, break down risks and options for resolution, and scrutinize the relative importance of a particular issue.
Commercial Real Estate Acquisition and Sale
Jamee counsels diverse clients in the acquisition and disposition of commercial real estate, including retail, office, and industrial properties. She regularly helps clients negotiate purchase and sale agreements, handles due diligence and title matters, and guides deals from inception to close.
Jamee routinely handles commercial leasing transactions, representing both landlords and tenants. Her experience includes drafting and negotiating leases, lease guaranties, estoppels, and subordination agreements; conducting leasing due diligence on major commercial developments, office towers, and mixed-use projects; and negotiating leasehold title policies.
Commercial Real Estate Financing
Jamee represents both commercial borrowers and lenders in the documentation and closing of real estate–secured loans. She also serves as local counsel on loan transactions and, as a member of Schwabe’s Legal Opinion Committee, she provides third-party legal opinions for clients in real estate–secured financing transactions.
Timberlands and Forest Products
Jamee is an integral member of Schwabe’s robust timber practice, which has been recognized by U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers as a National Tier 1 Firm in Timber Law. She represents some of the country’s largest landowners in the acquisition and disposition of timberlands, which have ranged from small-tract sales to transactions involving over one million acres. Jamee regularly counsels clients on operational matters, including drafting access easements, service agreements, and log purchase and sale agreements. She also assists forest products companies in developing timber procurement and other policies designed to prevent problems before they happen.
- Serve as national real estate counsel for a major cinema circuit.
- Handle lease transactions for a prominent Oregon-based real estate investment banking firm in connection with retail, office, and mixed-use projects throughout the United States.
- Represent industrial timberland owners on large tree farm dispositions and sales of “higher and better use” tracts collectively totaling hundreds of thousands of acres.
- Served as lead title and due diligence counsel on behalf of a major financial institution in the sale of a Portland office tower ($188 million purchase price).
- Represented the seller-tenant in the sale and leaseback of a manufacturing and distribution facility (approximately 167,000 square feet) in Arizona.
- Represented the seller-tenant in the sale and leaseback of a major cinema in Colorado.
- Represented buyers in the acquisitions of Dollar General variety stores in Georgia.
- Served as lead title counsel on behalf of a timber investment management organization in the sale of approximately 1.1 million acres of timberland (over $1 billion purchase price).
- Represented a real estate investment trust in the sale of 115,000 acres of timberland.
- Represented an Oregon timberland company in an IRC Section 1031 exchange of investment timberland.
- Represented an Oregon lumber mill in the sale of a mill site and operating assets.
- Developed a Lacey Act due care program for North America’s largest manufacturer of hardwood plywood and hardwood veneer products.
Memberships & Awards
- Oregon Asian Pacific American Bar Association, Member
- Oregon State Bar, Diversity Section, Real Estate and Land Use Section, and Sustainable Future Section, Member
- Schwabe Diversity & Inclusion Committee, Member
- Schwabe Legal Opinion Committee, Member
- Ranked as "Associate to Watch" for Real Estate in Oregon, Chambers USA (2017-2019)
- Oregon Rising Stars List, Real Estate (2018)
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers, “Law Firm of the Year” in Timber Law, Team Member (2015, 2018, and 2020)
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers, National Tier 1 Firm in Timber Law, Team Member (2015-2019)
Resources & Ideas
- April 26, 2019
- 33 Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt Attorneys Named to Oregon Super Lawyers and Rising Stars List in 2018Super LawyersJuly 24, 2018
- May 14, 2018
- Six practice areas and 20 attorneys singled out for excellenceJune 5, 2017
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
Co-presenter, “Water, Timber and Easements: Understanding and Protecting Real Property Rights,” Oregon State University Tree School East.
- The Lacey Act in the 21st Century: An Old Law's Renewed Clout Imposes Serious Consequences on Importers and Processors of Foreign WoodForestry Source Magazine, July 9, 2018
- The Lacey Act in the 21st Century: An Old Law’s Renewed Clout Imposes Serious Consequences on Importers and Processors of Foreign Wood (Updated)March 22, 2018
- Friends of the Children, Ambassador Board (2017-present)
- Life Expanding Adventure Program (LEAP), Board of Directors (2017-2019)
- Oregon State UniversityBachelor of Arts in English, summa cum laude
- Willamette University College of LawJuris Doctor, summa cum laude
Oregon State Courts
Outside The Office
- Exploring the Northwest.