Molly Henry is an experienced civil litigator and appellate attorney. She co-leads the appellate practice group in Seattle. She regularly represents vessel owners, operators, and their underwriters in all aspects of maritime law, including casualty response and investigations, vessel attachments and arrests, commercial disputes, marine related regulatory compliance such as environmental matters and admeasurement of vessels, personal injury claims, and cargo loss and damage claims. She also represents ports and other marine service providers and contractors.
In addition to her maritime practice, Molly also has significant experience representing banks, broker-dealers, and registered persons in litigation, arbitration, and regulatory investigations. She has successfully defended clients against allegations of fraud, negligence, unsuitability, selling away, and numerous lending related claims.
Molly has briefed and argued numerous appeals in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and Washington State Courts of Appeal. She has also filed briefing in the United States Supreme Court at the certiorari stage and as counsel for amicus. She co-leads the appellate practice group in Seattle. Molly also serves as Assistant General Counsel to the firm.
- Obtained vacatur of Rule B attachment of multiple containerships, including award of substantial costs to client.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of classification society against claims of breach of contract and negligence related to issuance of tonnage certificates.
- Obtained summary judgment on Consumer Protection Act and wrongful foreclosure clams on behalf of bank, affirmed in published appellate opinion.
- Obtained dismissal of claims against bank based on federal preemption, upheld by Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Successfully represented broker-dealer client in a Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitration on claims related to variable life insurance policy.
- Obtained a defense award in FINRA arbitration on significant “selling away” claims against firm.
Memberships & Awards
- Maritime Law Association
- Women’s International Shipping & Trading Association
Federal Bar Association of the Western District of Washington
- Washington Super Lawyers Rising Stars List, Civil Litigation Defense (2012-2018)
Resources & Ideas
- Law360January 22, 2021
- August 17, 2018
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- November 18, 2021
- September 29, 2021
- Marine Insurance Association of SeattleSeptember 24, 2021
- June 10, 2021
- Schwabe Women in BusinessMay 6, 2020
- June 5, 2019
- Supreme Court Rules that Discovery is Not Available in Aid of Private Foreign Arbitration: ZF Automotive US, Inc. v. Luxshare, Ltd., Decided June 13, 2022June 13, 2022
- COVID-19: Force Majeure Clauses and Considerations for the Transportation, Ports, and Maritime IndustryMarch 31, 2020
- December 26, 2018
- King County Housing Justice Project, Volunteer
- Seattle Tilth, Director (2009-2012)
- Ohio State University Moritz College of LawJuris Doctor degree, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif (2008)
- Smith CollegeBachelor of Arts degree (2002)
Alaska State Courts
Washington State and Federal Courts
Oregon State and Federal Courts
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court