Philip Lempriere’s legal experience coupled with his time serving as both a deck cadet and third officer aboard U.S. ships uniquely positions him to understand clients’ admiralty and maritime legal issues.
From litigation of all traditional maritime claims—including vessel arrests and attachments, cargo loss and damage, personal injury claims and vessel casualties—to employment disputes on behalf of employers, Philip has experience in virtually every aspect of maritime law.
With more than 30 years of litigation experience, Philip integrates his knowledge of vessel management and operation with mastery of legal issues to create exceptional strategies to solve complex problems.
- Serve as lead defense counsel in marine pollution (MARPOL) criminal investigations, prosecutions and probation proceedings, and in implementing environmental compliance plans.
- Serve as lead trial counsel in federal and state court jury and bench trials involving personal injury, cargo claims, limitation of liability arising from embarrassment of navigation, insurance coverage and asset tracing, among others.
- Successfully represented client in $80 million cargo damage claim involving a pure car carrier; prevailed at Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals on novel forum selection clause issue.
- Serve as primary on-scene counsel for vessel interests in marine casualties, including groundings, dock damage, oil spills, vessel fires, serious injuries and deaths, collapsed cargo stow and various other vessel mishaps.
- Represented clients in all manners of employment litigation and disputes on behalf of employers, including discrimination, sexual harassment, and wage and hour claims.
- Regularly presents to clients and industry groups on pertinent environmental issues, personal injury claims, cargo claims, salvage, and maritime procedural issues such as vessel arrest and attachment.
Memberships & Awards
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- USF Admiralty & Maritime Law Journal, Founding Member
- Washington Super Lawyers, Transportation and Maritime Law (2014-2021)
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated with Martindale-Hubbell® (2001-Present)
Resources & Ideas
- Super Lawyers and Rising StarsJuly 21, 2021
- Law360January 22, 2021
- July 16, 2020
- 15 Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt Attorneys Named to the 2019 Washington Super Lawyers and Rising Stars ListsSuper LawyersJune 11, 2019
- The Alaska Bar RagJune 20, 2018
- April 13, 2018
- September 1, 2018
- University of San Francisco School of LawJuris Doctor (1989)
- United States Merchant Marine AcademyBachelor of Science, Nautical Science and Marine Transportation (1984)
Alaska State Courts
California State Courts
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
Outside The Office
- Spending as much time as possible outdoors.