Scott D. Eads
For more than 20 years, Scott Eads has devoted his law practice to protecting and defending his technology clients’ key intellectual property rights in patents, copyrights, trademarks and trade secrets. Scott has advocated for his IP clients in federal courts all over the United States, from California to Delaware.
His clients have included leading pharmaceutical companies, world-famous publishers, makers of anti-virus software, digital music providers, medical device manufacturers, agricultural and agrochemical companies, semiconductor fabrication companies and many others. In addition to litigation and trial of IP disputes, Scott counsels his clients on company-critical intellectual property strategies.
- Representing a medical device maker in a patent infringement suit involving a continuous glucose monitoring device for diabetics. AgaMatrix v. Decom (Oregon).
- Represented a generic drug maker in a patent infringement suit involving the right to sell generic version of atorvastatin calcium (Lipitor®). Pfizer v. Mylan (Delaware).
- Won summary judgment dismissal of patent claim against a medical device manufacturer in an infringement suit involving a genetically modified reverse transcriptase. Invitrogen v. Becton Dickinson (Delaware).
- Won summary judgment dismissal of patent counterclaim for a semiconductor equipment manufacturer, in a patent infringement suit involving methods for metallizing semiconductor wafers. Semitool v. Novellus (Oregon).
- Won summary judgment dismissal of trademark claim against a New Zealand maker of outdoor apparel in a trademark infringement suit involving the “Icebreaker” trademark. Gilmar v. Icebreaker (Oregon).
- Represented an L.A. nightclub in a trademark infringement and trademark dilution case. The Viper Room v. Black Square Pants (Oregon).
- Represented a magazine publisher in the first U.S. case holding a website operator liable for copyright infringement. Playboy Enterprises v. Webbworld (Texas).
- Represented the defendant in a copyright case involving a newsletter publication. Random Lengths v. Silvaris (Oregon).
Trade Secret Litigation
- Represented the defendant in a trade secret case involving alleged software misappropriation. Keybank v. Corillian (Ohio).
- Represented an agricultural company in a trade secret case involving alleged misappropriation of proprietary seed corn germplasm. Pioneer Hi-Bred v. DeKalb Genetics (Illinois).
Memberships & Awards
- Oregon State Bar, Intellectual Property Section, Executive Committee
- Oregon State Bar, Mentorship Committee
- Oregon Patent Law Association, Member
- Who's Who Legal, Patent Law (2017)
- Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers, Band 1, Oregon (2009-2017)
- U.S. News & World Report, The Best Lawyers in America, Intellectual Property, Patent Law, Trademark Law (2013-2017)
- Intellectual Asset Management, The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners (2012-2017)
- Managing IP, IP Star (2013-2017)
- Co-recipient of Willamette Management Associates Standard of Excellence Award for article “Sport of Kings: The Promise and Perils of 21st Century Patent Litigation” (2009)
Resources & Ideas
- March 5, 2018
- March 5, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- Six practice areas and 20 attorneys singled out for excellenceJune 5, 2017
- August 19, 2016
- August 12, 2016
- November 5, 2015
- April 16, 2018
- April 9, 2018
- April 2, 2018
- March 26, 2018
- March 19, 2018
- March 12, 2018
- March 5, 2018
- February 26, 2018
- February 16, 2018
- February 12, 2018
- February 5, 2018
- May 27, 2016
- March 1, 2016
- February 16, 2016
"The Sport of Kings: Promise and Perils of 21st Century Patent Litigation," Willamette Management Associates, Insights, Fall 2009
- Portland Parks Tennis Association, Former President and Board Member
- The University of Texas School of LawJuris Doctor degree, with honors
- Portland State UniversityMaster of Science in Molecular Biology
- Tennessee Tech UniversityBachelor of Science in Biology, summa cum laude
Oregon State Courts
Texas State Courts (inactive)
United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
United States District Court for the District of Oregon
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
United States Patent & Trademark Office