Steven J. Prewitt
Steven Prewitt understands the power of innovation. He guides manufacturing companies and research institutions through the cycle of technology development, protection, commercialization, and enforcement of intellectual property to maximize value. Steven has a deep understanding of the importance of research, development, and technological advancement as critical business assets, and what it takes to effectively protect those assets.
Steven has filed hundreds of design and utility patents covering a broad spectrum of products and technologies. In addition, he provides strategic counseling and guidance to those looking to expand their business offerings or more strategically deploy their resources.
A passion for how things work
Steven loves the intricate mechanics that make things work, from the internal systems of a power tool, to the thermodynamics of a specialized fabric, to how a particular device treats or improves a medical condition. This keen interest has fueled his diverse technical background, which includes outdoor and athletic products, mechanical devices, biotechnology, and medical devices, to name a few. Steven’s broad technical base enables him to understand his clients’ innovations and develop strong patent protection strategies to safeguard them.
"We switched from a “top notch” Washington DC‐based law firm. We realized that the IP support from Steve Prewitt at Schwabe was clearly superior."
-Apex Biomedical Co.
"I would like to highlight the excellent work Steven Prewitt has been performance for us over many years. Always timely, great expertise, great strategist, and eager to get the best results, without going to unreasonable length."
-Apex Biomedical Co.
- Drafts and files hundreds of design patents annually.
- Counsels market-leading companies on overall strategic patent portfolio development (utility and design patents), strategic direction, and patent preparation/prosecution for footwear, apparel, and outdoor
- Serves as Strategic IP Counsel to Oregon Tool, Inc., guiding Oregon Tool through identification of valuable new ideas, development and protection of new products for forestry, agriculture, and related industries, and structuring licensing arrangements and strategic
- Represented a start-up medical device company from early-stage product development and intellectual property protection through funding and subsequent
- Represents Oregon Health and Science University in patent preparation/prosecution directed to biotechnology and medical
- Helped AgaMatrix enhance a medical device patent portfolio for diabetes management and enforce analyte sensor patent rights against a key competitor (AgaMatrix Dexcom).
- Represents precision automation equipment designer and manufacturer DWFritz in managing intellectual property policies/procedures, guiding strategic decisions, and securing proper patent and trademark
- Conducted a portfolio evaluation and due diligence for a venture capital firm prior to investment, resulting in identification of key investable
- Successfully guided RevMedx through the process to obtain its first patent on X-Stat (a hemostatic wound treatment device), an invention that was named an Invention of the Year by Popular Science.
Memberships & Awards
- IAM Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Professionals (2019-2020)
- Ranked for Intellectual Property Lawyers in Oregon, Chambers USA (2018-2021)
- Portland Business Journal, Forty under Forty (2012)
- Super Lawyers, Rising Stars list, Intellectual Property (2011-2013)
Resources & Ideas
- Nine practice areas and 23 attorneys chosen for distinctionMay 20, 2021
- March 4, 2021
- Seven practice areas and 16 attorneys singled out for excellence.April 30, 2020
- April 26, 2019
- April 16, 2019
- May 14, 2018
- Six practice areas and 20 attorneys singled out for excellenceJune 5, 2017
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Translational Science Symposium: Creating Intellectual PropertySociety for Investigative Dermatology2017
- March 29, 2016
U.S. Supreme Court Case Review, Association of University Technology Managers, October 2014.
AIA, Myriad Genetics and Other Current Issues in Patenting, Association of University Technology Managers, September 2013.
Oregon Health and Science University Startup Symposium, facilitator, October 2013.
What Every Technology Entrepreneur Should Know About Intellectual Property, Technology Alliance of Oregon, October 2013.
Reinventing Patent Law: The America Invents Act Changes the Rules, Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt, October 12, 2011.
U.S. Patent Reform: An Update and Discussion of Its Impact on Technology Transfer, Association of University Technology Managers, September 2011.
Innovation, Design and Intellectual Property, Invention to Venture Portland, February 2011.
- August 12, 2020
- Doernbecher Foundation, Board of Directors (2014-2017, 2019-Present)
- Friends of Doernbecher, Board of Directors (2013-2017), President (2014-2017)
- Oregon Bioscience Association, Board of Directors (2010-present), Program & Events Chairperson (2009-2014)
- Licensing Executives Society, OR/SW WA Chapter Chairperson (2010-2011)
- Oregon Innovation Showcase, MC (2009, 2010), Chairperson (2009)
- George Mason University School of LawJuris Doctor degree, IP Specialty Track
- University of VirginiaBachelor of Arts degree in Biology
Oregon State Courts
Virginia State Courts
Court of Appeals of Virginia
United States Patent and Trademark Office
United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
Outside The Office
- Skiing, hiking, golf, soccer and travel.