As a fifth-generation Oregon attorney, Tom is deeply invested in his clients and their role in the community. He takes the time not only to learn about his clients, but also to make sure he clearly communicates his analysis in a way that helps them make decisions and achieve objectives. Tom counsels a diverse client base with a particular focus on outdoor and athletic companies (also known as the “hooks and bullet” businesses).
Tom has extensive experience advising closely held and family-owned businesses on corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance. He appreciates the unique governance issues that arise in family-held businesses, and helps his clients anticipate and resolve issues before they become problems.
Clients often call on Tom for assistance in obtaining growth capital. His deep understanding of how private equity investments are structured in both corporations and limited liability companies helps his clients secure capital from private equity firms, venture capital firms, strategic investors and private investors.
- Serves as general corporate counsel for Leupold & Stevens, a fifth-generation family-owned business that is the leader in hunting and recreational optics.
- Has advised other leading closely held and family-held businesses, including Parr Lumber Company, Henningsen Cold Storage, A-dec, Benchmade Knives and Pacific Interpreters.
- Represented Oregon Iron Works, a leading specialty manufacturing firm with commercial, marine, nuclear, aerospace, hydroelectric, defense and transportation manufacturing divisions, in its merger with Vigor Industrial. The Portland Business Journal described this transaction as the largest merger of two Oregon businesses in the past decade.
- Raised private equity capital for Red Rock Biofuels, leading the legal team that helped Red Rock Biofuels secure a private equity investment from Flagship Capital.
Memberships & Awards
- Ranked for Mergers and Acquisitions Lawyers in Oregon, Chambers USA (2015-2018)
- Oregon Super Lawyers, Business & Corporate (2013-2018)
- Oregon Super Lawyers, "Rising Stars" list (2008-2012)
- Best Lawyers in America Award: Insurance Regulatory Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, and Corporate Law (2013-2019)
- Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Regulatory Law "Lawyer of the Year" award in Oregon (2013, 2018)
- Portland Business Journal, "Forty Under 40" Emerging Business Leaders award (2010)
Resources & Ideas
- August 15, 2018
- 33 Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt Attorneys Named to Oregon Super Lawyers and Rising Stars List in 2018Super LawyersJuly 24, 2018
- May 14, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- Designation honors attorneys in the top 5 percent of their legal fieldJuly 10, 2017
- Six practice areas and 20 attorneys singled out for excellenceJune 5, 2017
- Portland Business Journal, April 20, 2017
- August 19, 2016
- August 1, 2016
- November 10, 2014
- September 16, 2013
- April 26, 2011
- July 1, 2010
- February 19, 2010
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- January 23, 2018
- May 27, 2016
- Daily Journal of Commerce, August 18, 2015
- California Casualty Insurance Company, Director
- Oregon State Bar, Business Law Section Executive Committee, Member
- Greater Oregon Chapter of the March of Dimes, Past Chair and Board Member
- Portland Business Alliance's Leadership Portland, Graduate
- University of Oregon School of Law, Adjunct Professor, helped the school develop its mergers and acquisitions practical skills curriculum
- Oregon State Bar House of Delegates, elected and served two three-years terms
- Cub Scouts, Den Leader Volunteer
- University of OregonMaster of Business Administration degree, with honors
- University of Oregon School of LawJuris Doctor degree
- Vanderbilt UniversityBachelor of Arts degree, Economics
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
Outside The Office
- Spending time with my wife and sons, fly-fishing, skiing, golfing, camping, hunting and honing my barbeque skills in pursuit of the perfect brisket.