Legal professionals play a critical role in making Schwabe a top-rated Pacific Northwest law firm and a great place to work. We seek highly motivated team players who are committed to providing superior client service. From paralegals to legal assistants and administrative staff to office assistants and file clerks, your talent and knowledge will be respected and rewarded at Schwabe.
How to apply: Email your resume and cover letter to Schwabe Recruiting. Please include the position(s) for which you are applying.
Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt is seeking an experienced estate planning and trust/estate administration Paralegal in the Business Department in its Portland or Vancouver offices. This position requires strong computer skills and a high level of organization and accuracy with attention to detail. The successful candidate will be able to turn work around quickly, possess strong oral and written communication skills and be a self-starter who enjoys a fast paced, team environment. Schwabe offers a hybrid work environment. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Draft wills, trusts, powers of attorney, directive to physicians and other related estate planning documents.
- Facilitate trust funding and asset transfers and distributions.
- Manage both simple and complex trust and estate administrations from beginning to end.
- Prepare and file Court pleadings.
- Prepare trust and estate annual and final accountings along with all supporting documents.
- Compile tax information and prepare estate tax returns and gift tax returns.
- Collect, evaluate, maintain and monitor estate and trust assets, income and expenses.
- Coordinate various matters with other departments such as title searches, sale of real estate, contribution easements, wrongful death claims, and will contests.
- Examine and prepare summaries of estate planning documents.
- Excellent organizational abilities, communication skills, and attention to detail.
- A desire and ability to take ownership over work assignments and work product.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, activities and tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent time management skills.
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree and/or Paralegal certificate is preferred. Any combination of experience and education will be considered.
- Knowledge of all aspects of the administration of decedent’s estates, trusts, conservatorships and guardianships, including preparing and filing all probate court/estate administration forms.
- Three years of Estate Planning, trust/estate administration and Probate Paralegal Experience.
- Experience in Washington and California estate and trust administration is a plus.
Preferred Computer Skills:
- Microsoft office suite, including Work, Excel, Outlook and Power Point
- Tax preparation software (Knowledge of GEMS is a plus)
Interested candidates should submit their cover letter and resume to Melissa Tofell, Legal Support Services Manager at Recruiting@schwabe.com.
Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt provides a team-oriented working environment, offering competitive salaries and excellent benefits including medical, dental, life, LTD, 401(k)/profit sharing retirement, tuition reimbursement, EAP, transit subsidy, and paid time off.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other status protected by law.