How I represent clients at Schwabe
With nearly 20 years of practice, I help clients lease, purchase, sell, and finance real property throughout Oregon and Washington. I have handled numerous large, complex real estate transactions and enjoy assisting start-ups and mom-and-pop companies on smaller deals.
My active leasing practice includes institutional and private real property owners throughout the western United States and businesses with locations throughout the country. My leasing focus includes office, industrial, and retail projects. I understand that each client has different priorities in lease negotiations and that some clients prefer to focus on “big ticket” items while others strive to optimize every provision. Having drafted and negotiated hundreds of leases, I bring this extensive experience to the table in advising clients where they will get the most bang for their buck in lease negotiations. This experience also helps maximize efficiency in negotiating subordination, nondisturbance, and attornment agreements, tenant estoppels, franchise addenda, and all other lease-related documents.
Real Property Acquisition and Disposition
I have experience buying and selling real property of various kinds, including office towers, shopping centers, industrial and warehouse facilities, bare land, agricultural land, and ranches. As the need arises, I draw upon the knowledge of other Schwabe lawyers focusing on land use, entitlements, and environmental practice. I believe in proactive communication so that my clients are not confused about the status of a transaction and the numerous deadlines they may face. As the former chair of one of Oregon’s largest real estate and land use departments, I am a team player who can draw on junior attorneys to assist with aspects of transactions to deliver the best and most efficient results.
Real Property Finance and Opinion Practice
I began my legal career at the San Diego office of Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman, drafting and negotiating loan documents for several lender clients. Upon moving to Portland to join Schwabe in 2003, I built on that practice by representing borrowers on real estate loans large and small. I am a long-standing member of Schwabe’s Legal Opinion Committee and the former chair of Schwabe’s Real Estate & Land Use practice group.
- Handle ongoing leasing of substantial retail and office portfolios for several large real estate investment companies.
- Represented the Port of Vancouver in the development of the largest petroleum transloading facility in the country.
- Represented a timberlands investment management organization in the acquisition of a 1.88-million-acre timberland portfolio.
- Represented Concordia University in the development of a collaborative facility with Portland Public Schools that established the country’s first graduate program/elementary school campus.
- Served as national real estate and operations counsel for four major cinema circuits.
- Represented a major financial institution in the sale of its 40-story office complex in downtown Portland.
- University of San Diego, Law School, Juris Doctor degree, cum laude, Order of the Coif (2001)
- University of California, San Diego, Bachelor of Arts degree, cum laude (1991)
- California State Courts
- Oregon State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers, “Law Firm of the Year” in Timber Law, Team Member (2015 and 2018)
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers, National Tier 1 Firm in Timber Law, Team Member (2015-2018)
Construction Work Letters
The lawyer’s role; how to get accurate information and enough detail into the document
- Make-a-Wish Foundation, Board of Directors (Present)
- Clackamas Service Center, Board of Directors (Former)
- Three Rivers Land Conservancy, Board of Directors (Former)
When not roasting coffee, growing hops, playing drums, brewing beer or bowling, I enjoy narrowboating in the canals of England.
Get in touch
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox