How I represent clients and Schwabe
I am an experienced real estate transactional attorney representing clients on various real estate matters. A large part of my practice involves assisting clients with commercial leasing transactions and acquiring, developing, and selling properties. I also counsel several business owners on various legal issues.
A native Oregonian, I am well-connected to Portland’s business and real estate communities. I pride myself on helping clients get deals done efficiently and expeditiously.
- Since 2018, I have been representing a Portland-based developer in connection with the development of a city block in downtown Portland on which a 35-story building is being constructed. The building, which is scheduled to open in the summer of 2023, will be the site of Portland’s first five-star hotel, 170,000 square feet of office and retail space, and 132 residential condominiums. I have represented the developer in connection with the negotiation and preparation of numerous agreements, including (i) a ground lease and documents relating to the eventual purchase of the site by our client, (ii) crane swing and tieback easement agreements, (iii) agreements for the purchase of FAR (floor area ratio), (iv) retail and office leases, (v) documents to create the condominium form of ownership for the building, which, when recorded, will create an office ownership unit, a hotel ownership unit, and a residential ownership unit, and (vi) agreements with telecommunications providers.
- Representation of a client in connection with its purchase and subsequent management and leasing of a 111,000-square foot office building in Aliso Viejo, California, and a 116,000-square foot office building in San Jose, California.
- Representation of a developer in the preparation and negotiation of (i) agreements for a ground lease and subsequent purchase of a one-half block of land in the Pearl District in northwest Portland on which the nine-story Pearl West Building was constructed, and (ii) office leases with the tenants of the building.
- Representation of a developer in connection with (i) a ground lease and subsequent purchase of a three-quarter block parcel in downtown Portland on which the client constructed the Broadway Tower, a 19-story office/hotel building, (ii) office, retail, and restaurant leases comprising more than 170,000 square feet of floor space in the building, and (iii) the sale of the office portion of the building.
- Representation of a developer of a new shopping center in Newcastle, Washington, which representation included providing advice regarding entity formation and the purchase of the land, the preparation and negotiation of all of the leases, and all legal work relating to the eventual sale of the shopping center.
- Representation of a Portland-area food manufacturer in connection with its lease of 400,000 square feet of industrial space and the purchase of its headquarters building in Milwaukie, Oregon.
- Representation of a Portland-area knife manufacturing company in connection with its lease of industrial space in Clackamas, Oregon.
- University of Virginia, School of Law, Juris Doctor degree
- University of Oregon, Bachelor of Science degree in Finance, with honors, Phi Beta Kappa
- Oregon State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court - District of Oregon
- Ranked for Real Estate Lawyers in Oregon, Chambers USA (2021-2023)
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Law (2012-2024)
- Awarded a peer review rating of “AV Preeminent” (the highest rating) by Martindale-Hubbell®
- NAIOP, Oregon Chapter (past board member)
Chambers USA Honors Schwabe in 2022 Rankings
Nine practice areas and 24 lawyers chosen for distinction
June 2, 2022
Largest Law Firms Practicing Health Care Law in the Portland Metro Area
Portland Business Journal
July 16, 2021
Chambers USA Honors Schwabe in 2021 Rankings
Nine practice areas and 23 attorneys chosen for distinction
May 20, 2021
Ritz-Carlton Hotel, Condos Coming to Downtown Food Cart Pod Site
June 20, 2019
Portland’s First “5-Star” Hotel Planned at Site of Downtown Food Cart Pod
The Oregonian, June 1, 2018
- Waverley Country Club (past president and board member)
- Oregon Symphony Association (former secretary and board member)
- University of Oregon (past president of the Oregon Club of Portland and former vice president of the UO Alumni Association)
College sports and golf.
Get in touch
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox