How I represent clients at Schwabe
I focus my practice on commercial patents, trade secrets, copyright, and trademark litigation, in addition to unfair competition, contracts, and other claims. I’ve litigated matters relating to a wide range of technologies, from biomedical devices to hydrogen compressors to heavy-load walking machinery, before district courts nationwide. I also litigate patent and trademark matters before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals.
I also have a robust advisory/opinion practice centering on patent infringement and invalidity issues, as well as expertise in Lanham Act false advertising claims. Prior to joining Schwabe, I was a general litigation associate at Mayer Brown, LLP in Palo Alto, California, which complements my current IP practice with six years of experience litigating business torts, licensing disputes, antitrust claims, and other commercial litigation matters.
- Managed worldwide discovery and helped secure favorable pre-trial settlement in complex trade secrets and contract litigation involving semiconductor manufacturing equipment.
- In patent case involving rifle scope reticles, secured summary judgment for defendant alternatively finding both non-infringement and patent invalidity.
- Successfully represented patent owner before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board in proceedings upholding the validity of two continuous glucose monitoring patents.
- In a case seeking over $8 million in damages, was part of a team that secured summary judgment of non-infringement and an award of attorneys’ fees in a patent case involving electrochemical analysis techniques.
- Secured summary judgments, constructive trusts, and permanent injunctions against both corporate infringers of DVD patents and their individual principals.
- Principally managed litigation of a First Amendment case against the City and County of San Francisco, brought to enjoin a municipal ordinance of unsolicited delivery of Yellow Pages phone directories.
- Successfully resisted burdensome subpoenas issued in three simultaneous, MDL-designated class action suits to national insurance provider, from federal courts in California and New Jersey.
- Stanford University, Juris Doctor degree (2007)
- Yale University, Bachelor of Arts degree, English Language and Literature (2004)
- California State Courts
- Oregon State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Federal Circuit
- American Bar Association, IP Law Section, Member
- Oregon State Bar, IP Law Section, Member
- Oregon State Bar, Litigation Law Section, Member
- Classroom Law Project, “We the People” competition judge (2017-2022)
- Participated in the Ramos Project, an initiative launched by Lewis & Clark Law School’s Criminal Justice Reform Clinic to seek relief for defendants convicted by non-unanimous jury verdicts following the Supreme Court’s decision finding such convictions unconstitutional in Ramos v. Louisiana.
Native Portlander and river rat.
Get in touch