How I represent clients at Schwabe
With a decade of experience as a construction lawyer, I work closely with companies of all sizes to seek creative, cost-effective solutions to otherwise complex problems.
I enjoy working with clients to help ensure the safety of their worksites and mitigate risks associated with state and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) inspections and enforcement actions. In this regard, I regularly act as an Employer Representative during OSHA inspections and defend companies in administrative hearings for wrongfully issued citations.
In addition, I help developers, contractors, and design professionals through drafting, negotiating, and reviewing various construction contracts, including prime contracts, subcontracts, purchase orders, and design-service agreements.
My focus on the construction industry extends to the myriad of licensing issues that may arise for contractors in the states in which they work. Construction-industry clients seek my help to comply with state contractor, electrical, and plumbing licensing laws.
As an experienced trial lawyer, I take the lessons learned in the courtroom to help clients understand the big picture and spot potential issues before they arise.
- Represented contractor in a state OSHA inspection following a catastrophic explosion, resulting in zero citations being issued to the contractor.
- Defended fuel distributor against a state OSHA citation, which resulted in the dismissal and reclassification of all alleged violations.
- Defended seafood processor in a state OSHA proceeding, resulting in a favorable settlement and dismissal of most of the citations.
- Represented national electrical contractor in obtaining the dismissal of citations issued by OSHA.
Contract Drafting & Negotiation
- Negotiated $20 million construction contracts for general contractor related to development in Washington.
- Drafted contracts for use by residential remodeling contractor in Bend.
- Assisted renewable energy contractor negotiating a contract on a renewable energy project.
- Advised developer on construction contract negotiations for construction of medical facility in Oregon.
- Assisted national homebuilder in obtaining contractor licenses in Oregon and Washington.
- Assisted several HVAC companies in Oregon and Washington in obtaining and updating electrical, plumbing, and contractor licenses.
- Successfully represented port client in high-stakes dispute with a former rail operator. Assisted client through confidential arbitration, lawsuit, and settlement.
- Obtained summary judgment and award of attorney fees on behalf of residential home developer who was sued by property owner for return of earnest-money deposit.
- Successfully defeated temporary restraining order motion in a residential foreclosure action.
- Successfully defeated preliminary injunction motion filed by municipality against an agricultural-processing client.
- Negotiated favorable settlement for client in water rights dispute between property owners.
- University of San Diego, Law School, Juris Doctor degree (2013)
- California State University, Channel Islands, Bachelor of Science degree, Environmental Science and Resources Management (2009)
- Oregon State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. District Court - District of Oregon
- Oregon State Bar, Administrative Law Section Executive Committee Member
- Association of General Contractors Oregon-Columbia Chapter, Member
- Recognized by Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America, Construction Law & Litigation – Construction (2021-2024)
- Selected to the Oregon Super Lawyers Rising Stars List, Employment & Labor (2023)
Avid golfer and father, often at the same time.
Get in touch
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox