I work with each client to understand how the legal issue fits within their broader goals and concerns. This way we can achieve the appropriate legal solution in a cost-effective manner.
How I represent clients at Schwabe
I am passionate about real estate and work with clients to navigate a wide range of real estate transactions and land use matters. I regularly work with commercial and residential developers, owners, tenants, and port district clients. I provide seasoned advice for all stages of the real estate cycle, including acquisition, financing, permitting/entitlement, development, and leasing. Through all these complex issues, I am a steady and dedicated guide who will partner with you to realize your goals.
Devoted to pursuing the best outcomes for my clients, I take a holistic approach to all the phases involved in real estate transactions. I assist with purchase and sales agreements and leases for mixed-commercial and multi-family residential developments. I partner with clients on all types of property management issues, including the drafting and enforcement of condominium covenants. As part of my land use practice, I advise clients on title, permitting, zoning, and planning issues.
While my practice includes a wide range of real estate clients, I devote a substantial portion of my practice to counseling port districts on a variety of issues. In addition to buying and selling port property, I advise them on land use matters, tenant leases, and rail line agreements – whatever real estate and construction concerns might arise in the unique port district environment.
Real Estate Purchase and Sale
- Represented buyer in purchase of $22 million apartment buildings and associated financing.
- Advised developer in acquisition of multiple parcels, change in the parcel’s boundary lines, and expansion of the permitted uses for the properties.
- Represented seller of $9 million multi-family property with challenging title issues.
- Represented landlord in negotiating a 20-year lease, with extension options, for an industrial space in SW Washington.
- Advised Seattle tenants in negotiating leases for a First Hill doctor’s office, multiple Belltown restaurants, and a downtown nonprofit organization.
- Negotiated COVID-19 forbearance agreements and lease restructuring on behalf of landlord with multiple tenants.
Real Estate Development and Construction
- Drafted complex multi-party easement agreements for an outdoor-oriented shopping mall with multiple ownership components.
- Represented owner in negotiating American Institute of Architects (AIA) construction agreements and subcontractor agreements for 200-unit apartment buildings in Eastern Washington.
- Drafted Site Safety Plan and Accident Prevention Plans for Washington multi-family developer.
Condominium and Homeowner Associations
- Drafted the declaration of covenants, bylaws, and rules for a Seattle condominium association.
- Advised mixed-use condominium development in downtown Seattle regarding interpretation and enforcement of its governing documents.
- Drafted commercial condominium documents to subdivide a retail strip into multiple units.
- Drafted and negotiated 80-year ground lease for industrial development on Port property.
- Negotiated and drafted dredging license and sand agreement along the Columbia River.
- Prepared 50-year lease and construction of a commercial dock with capital contributions from the tenant towards construction costs.
- University of Washington School of Law, Juris Doctor degree (2007)
- University of Washington, Bachelor of Arts degree, Political Science (1998)
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Washington
- King County Bar Association, Member
- Washington Rising Stars List, Business Litigation (2013-2017)
- Boys and Girls Club of Mercer Island, Board Member
- Washington Public Ports Association Legal Committee, Member
- Bloodworks Northwest (formerly Puget Sound Blood Center), YPA Committee, Member and Chair (2012-2015)
- University of Washington School of Law, Professional Mentorship Program, Mentor to first-year law students
Enjoying the outdoors.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox