How I represent clients at Schwabe
I am an experienced civil litigator and appellate attorney. I regularly represent vessel owners, operators, and their underwriters in all aspects of maritime law, including casualty response and investigations, vessel attachments and arrests, commercial disputes, marine-related regulatory compliance, environmental matters, personal injury claims, and cargo claims. I also represent ports and other marine service providers and contractors.
Over the course of my career, I have briefed and argued numerous appeals in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and Washington State Courts of Appeal. I have also filed briefing in the United States Supreme Court at the certiorari stage and as counsel for amicus. In addition to acting as co-lead for our appellate practice group in Seattle, I serve as Assistant General Counsel to the firm.
In addition to my maritime and appellate practices, I have represented banks, broker-dealers, and registered persons in litigation, arbitration, and regulatory investigations. I have successfully defended clients against allegations of fraud, negligence, unsuitability, selling away, and numerous lending-related claims.
- Obtained vacatur of Rule B attachment of multiple containerships, including award of substantial costs to client.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of classification society against claims of breach of contract and negligence related to issuance of tonnage certificates.
- Obtained summary judgment on Consumer Protection Act and wrongful foreclosure claims on behalf of bank, affirmed in published appellate opinion.
- Obtained dismissal of claims against bank based on federal preemption, upheld by Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Successfully represented broker-dealer client in a Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitration on claims related to variable life insurance policy.
- Obtained a defense award in FINRA arbitration on significant “selling away” claims against firm.
- Ohio State University, Moritz College of Law, Juris Doctor degree, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif (2008)
- Smith College, Bachelor of Arts degree (2002)
- Alaska State Courts
- Oregon Federal Court
- Oregon State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- Washington Federal Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Federal Bar Association of the Western District of Washington, Admiralty Committee Co-chair
- Maritime Law Association, Proctor Member
- Women’s International Shipping & Trading Association, Member and Former PNW Chapter President
- King County Bar Association Judicial Candidate Evaluation Committee, Member
- Selected to the Washington Super Lawyers Rising Stars List, Civil Litigation Defense (2012-2018)
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America®, Admiralty and Maritime Law (2024)
Can a Port “Borrow” a State’s Antitrust Immunity?
Washington Public Ports Association, December 7, 2022
Ethics Hour: Top Ten Ways Lawyers Get Into Trouble
December 2, 2022
2021 Maritime Law Update
November 18, 2021
Force Majeure in Maritime Law
WSB Maritime Law 2021 CLE
September 29, 2021
MIAS 2021 Day of Education: Maritime Legal Update
Marine Insurance Association of Seattle, September 24, 2021
Women Leaders in the Maritime Industry
June 10, 2021
Webinar: Lead Like a Woman
Schwabe Women in Business, May 6, 2020
- King County Housing Justice Project, Volunteer (2014-2022)
- Seattle Tilth, Director (2009-2012)
Get in touch
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox