How I represent clients at Schwabe
My legal experience and time serving as a deck cadet and third officer aboard U.S. ships uniquely positions me to understand clients’ admiralty and maritime legal issues.
From litigation of all traditional maritime claims—including vessel arrests and attachments, cargo loss and damage, personal injury claims, and vessel casualties—to employment disputes on behalf of employers, I have experience in virtually every aspect of maritime law.
With more than 30 years of litigation experience, I integrate my knowledge of vessel management and operation with mastery of legal issues to create exceptional strategies to solve complex problems.
- Served as lead defense counsel in marine pollution (MARPOL) criminal investigations, prosecutions and probation proceedings, and in implementing environmental compliance plans.
- Served as lead trial counsel in federal and state court jury and bench trials involving personal injury, cargo claims, limitation of liability arising from embarrassment of navigation, insurance coverage and asset tracing, among others.
- Successfully represented client in $80 million cargo damage claim involving a pure car carrier; prevailed at Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals on novel forum selection clause issue.
- Served as primary on-scene counsel for vessel interests in marine casualties, including groundings, dock damage, oil spills, vessel fires, serious injuries and deaths, collapsed cargo stow and various other vessel mishaps.
- Represented clients in all manners of employment litigation and disputes on behalf of employers, including discrimination, sexual harassment, and wage and hour claims.
- Regularly presents to clients and industry groups on pertinent environmental issues, personal injury claims, cargo claims, salvage, and maritime procedural issues such as vessel arrest and attachment.
- University of San Francisco, School of Law, Juris Doctor (1989)
- United States Merchant Marine Academy, Bachelor of Science, Nautical Science and Marine Transportation (1984)
- Alaska State Courts
- California State Courts
- Oregon State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- USF Admiralty & Maritime Law Journal, Founding Member
- Selected to the Washington Super Lawyers, Transportation and Maritime Law (2014-2021)
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated with Martindale-Hubbell® (2001-Present)
Spending as much time as possible outdoors.
Get in touch