Developing relationships and deep understanding drives strategy and successful outcomes.
How I represent clients at Schwabe
By focusing on the power of innovation, I can effectively guide manufacturing companies and research institutions through the cycle of technology development, protection, commercialization, and enforcement of intellectual property to maximize value. My years of experience have given me a deep understanding of the importance of research, development, and technological advancement as critical business assets and what it takes to protect those assets effectively. In addition, I provide strategic counseling and guidance to those looking to expand their business offerings or more strategically deploy their resources.
A passion for how things work
I love the intricate mechanics that make things work, from the thermodynamics of a specialized fabric to how a particular device treats or improves a medical condition. This keen interest has fueled my diverse technical background, which includes outdoor and athletic products, mechanical devices, biotechnology, and medical devices, to name a few. My broad technical base enables me to understand my clients’ innovations and develop strong patent protection strategies to safeguard them.
“I would like to highlight the excellent work Steven Prewitt has been performing for us over many years. Always timely, great expertise, great strategist, and eager to get the best results without going to unreasonable lengths.”
-Apex Biomedical Co.
- Drafts and files hundreds of design patents annually.
- Counsels market-leading companies on overall strategic patent portfolio development (utility and design patents), strategic direction, and patent preparation/prosecution for footwear, apparel, and outdoor gear.
- Served as Strategic IP Counsel to a tool and equipment manufacturer, identifying valuable new ideas, development and protection of new products, and structuring licensing arrangements and strategic partnerships.
- Represented a start-up medical device company from early-stage product development and intellectual property protection through funding and subsequent acquisition.
- Represents Oregon Health and Science University in patent preparation/prosecution directed to biotechnology and medical devices.
- Helped AgaMatrix enhance a medical device patent portfolio for diabetes management and enforce analyte sensor patent rights against a key competitor (AgaMatrix Dexcom).
- Represents precision automation equipment designer and manufacturer DWFritz in managing intellectual property policies/procedures, guiding strategic decisions, and securing proper patent and trademark protection.
- Conducted a portfolio evaluation and due diligence for a venture capital firm prior to investment, resulting in identification of key investable assets.
- Successfully guided RevMedx through the process to obtain its first patent on X-Stat (a hemostatic wound treatment device), an invention that was named an Invention of the Year by Popular Science.
- Represents Autonomic Materials in strategic partnerships and development of patent portfolio directed to self-healing coatings and formulations for industrial and automotive applications.
- George Mason University School of Law, Juris Doctor degree, IP Specialty Track
- University of Virginia, Bachelor of Arts degree in Biology
- Oregon State Courts
- Virginia State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Professionals (2019-2020)
- Ranked for Intellectual Property Lawyers in Oregon, Chambers USA (2018-2022)
- Portland Business Journal, Forty under Forty (2012)
- Super Lawyers, Rising Stars list, Intellectual Property (2011-2013)
U.S. Supreme Court Case Review, Association of University Technology Managers, October 2014.
AIA, Myriad Genetics and Other Current Issues in Patenting, Association of University Technology Managers, September 2013.
Oregon Health and Science University Startup Symposium, facilitator, October 2013.
What Every Technology Entrepreneur Should Know About Intellectual Property, Technology Alliance of Oregon, October 2013.
Reinventing Patent Law: The America Invents Act Changes the Rules, Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt, October 12, 2011.
U.S. Patent Reform: An Update and Discussion of Its Impact on Technology Transfer, Association of University Technology Managers, September 2011.
Innovation, Design and Intellectual Property, Invention to Venture Portland, February 2011.
- Doernbecher Foundation, Board of Directors (2014-2017, 2019-Present), Vice Chair (2022-Present)
- Friends of Doernbecher, Board of Directors (2013-2017), President (2014-2017)
- Oregon Bioscience Association, Board of Directors (2010-2022), Program & Events Chairperson (2009-2014)
- Licensing Executives Society, OR/SW WA Chapter Chairperson (2010-2011)
- Oregon Innovation Showcase, MC (2009, 2010), Chairperson (2009)
Skiing, hiking, golf, soccer and travel.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox