Jamila A. Johnson
Jamila Johnson primarily represents businesses with retail, warehouse and other commercial properties when the government uses its power of eminent domain. She helps her clients through this potentially stressful process by:
- Developing creative approaches to prevent the government from taking her clients’ property;
- Advising clients how to plan for the potential loss of their property;
- Negotiating on her clients’ behalf about compensation/scope of the taking; and
- Taking to trial cases against the government to secure just compensation.
Jamila also has experience developing claims of inverse and regulatory takings and working against government overreach.
While Jamila’s first passion is constitutional law, she also works with companies in the midst of open government disputes under the Washington Public Records Act or the Open Public Meetings Act. Frequently these cases involve claims regarding trade secrets and proprietary data. Her clients in this area have ranged from Fortune 500 technology companies to international manufacturers.
- Helped the owners of a large customized retail, warehouse and office space in Bellevue obtain just compensation and address environmental contamination concerns when Sound Transit condemned their property.
- Successfully brought an inverse condemnation case against Washington State Department of Transportation to a jury to compensate homeowners adjacent to SR-520 when the government built a stormwater treatment facility and public park into their high-end subdivision.
- Worked with a national retailer to address impacts of a public project on the remainder of its property after Puget Sound Energy condemnation.
- Successfully tried Public Records Act case in Thurston County relating to trade secret and security issues.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in obtaining public records relating to a competitor’s contracts with the State of Washington.
Memberships & Awards
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation (Condemnation, Zoning & Land Use)
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers (2014)
- Oregon Bar Association, Member
- King County Bar Association Outstanding Young Lawyer Award (2011)
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers Magazine (2012 - 2016)
Resources & Ideas
- 14 of Schwabe’s Washington attorneys recognized as being in the top 5 percent of their fieldJune 16, 2016
- May 6, 2016
- February 11, 2016
- December 23, 2013
- September 20, 2012
- June 26, 2012
- June 23, 2011
- October 21, 2010
- August 6, 2010
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Moving People, Water and Energy Through Your Property: Eminent Domain and Infrastructure ConstructionAmerican Bar AssociationSeattle, WA, August 2016
- Government Law for Public and Private PractitionersSeattle, WA, July 21, 2016
- Crowne Plaza Portland - Downtown Convention Center, June 9 & 10, 2016
- Seattle, WA, Wednesday, May 11th, 2016
- Ethical Considerations in Valuations & Strategic Considerations in Condemnation: The Relocation Process6th Annual Eminent Domain ConferenceSeattle, WA, Thursday, May 12 & 13, 2016
- ACLU of Washington, Board of Directors/Executive Committee/Cooperating Attorney/ Litigation Committee (2013 - present)
- Washington Housing Alliance Action Fund, Board of Directors/Endorsement Chair (2011 - present)
- Tabor 100, Government Affairs Chair (2015 - present)
- Institute for a Democratic Future, Board of Directors (2014 - 2015)
- Legal Voice, Board of Directors (2012 - 2015)
- Seattle Women's Commission, Chair (2010 - 2013)
- Seattle UniversityBachelor of Arts degree (2004)
- University of Washington School of LawJuris Doctor degree (2007)
Washington State Courts
Oregon State Courts
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
Outside The Office
- Sharing the Constitution with teenagers and inspiring the next generation of civil rights protectors.