Brian J. King
Brian King's practice focuses on environmental and worker safety law. For over 35 years, he has represented clients in environmental and OSHA enforcement proceedings, environmental permit appeals and Superfund litigation. He also is active in the areas of environmental permitting, environmental auditing and general environmental compliance, and has conducted scores of environmental compliance audits.
Before joining Schwabe, Brian served for 12 years as associate general counsel for Boise Cascade Corporation. As a result, he has a keen understanding of how products are made and how environmental regulations and permits fit into the manufacturing process.
Brian continues to bring an in-house legal counsel perspective to his practice, providing practical, cost-effective legal advice to his clients.
- Advised permitting teams who obtained Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) permits for various major industrial projects, including a $600 million pulp and paper mill expansion.
- Represented clients in over 50 different Clean Air Act enforcement actions in various states and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Regions.
- Reviewed numerous Title V air operating permit applications.
- Represent clients on Clean Air Act citizen suits.
- Advised clients on the issuance of over 50 National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permits, including Oregon's first watershed permit.
- Represented clients in approximately 60 different Clean Water Act enforcement actions in various states and EPA Regions.
- Represent clients on Clean Water Act citizen suits.
- Advise clients on questions relating to effluent trading, mixing zones, Total Maximum Daily Load and other aspects of water quality law.
- Conducted well over 100 environmental compliance audits for a variety of industrial operations ranging from copper smelters to pulp and paper mills.
- Advise clients on how to establish corporate environmental audit and compliance programs and how to handle EPA multimedia and other regulatory inspections.
Environmental Due Diligence
- Advise clients on environmental issues relating to buying and selling businesses and real property.
- Counsel clients on over 50 different Superfund sites in several states and EPA Regions.
- Represent clients on claims relating to petroleum hydrocarbon contamination and private cost recovery actions .
- Handled a variety of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) contested cases before federal, Oregon and Washington worker safety authorities .
- Advises clients on general OSHA and MSHA compliance matters.
Resources & Ideas
- February 1, 2010
Fundamentals of Environmental Management, co-author
Environmental and Natural Resources Law Handbook, Oregon State Bar, contributing author
- Colorado State UniversityBachelor of Arts degree, Phi Beta Kappa (1977)
- University of Colorado School of LawJuris Doctor degree (1980)
Oregon State Courts
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
United States District Court, District of Idaho
United States District Court, District of Oregon
Outside The Office
- Travel, hiking, music and reading.