Caitlin M. Wong
Caitlin Wong has a passion for tax law and a commitment to using it to empower others. She works with Oregon and Washington clients ranging from large companies with complex federal tax disputes, to individuals developing their first estate plan.
Caitlin has experience with all aspects of state and federal taxation, including tax planning for individuals and companies, audits, appeals, tax court litigation and estate planning. She assists in trust and estate administration and in resolving disputes that arise within families after the decline in capacity or death of a family member.
Before joining Schwabe, Caitlin practiced with another private law firm, where she focused on tax planning, tax controversy, business law, commercial litigation, estate planning and administration, and estate and trust litigation. Her broad background provides a solid foundation for identifying and addressing potential issues before they become problems.
- Represents clients with tax controversy matters before the IRS and Oregon Department of Revenue, including audits, appeals and tax litigation.
- Handles income and estate tax issues and civil tax procedure.
- Managed tax disputes focused on issues commonly faced by closely held and family-owned businesses and their owners, including passive activity losses, valuation disputes, treatment of technology development expenses and discharge of indebtedness income.
- Handles entity formation and tax considerations of various entities.
- Counsels clients and prepares documents reflecting the agreements among owners, including preparing operating agreements, bylaws, shareholder agreements and buy-sell agreements.
- Assists in tax matters related to the purchase or sale of a business or an interest in a business.
- Assists in strategic planning to minimize tax impact to businesses, including expansions, employment considerations, transition planning, acquisitions, reorganizations, and other compliance strategies to achieve the desired tax outcome in both common and complex business transactions.
- Counsels clients on Oregon and Washington state and local tax issues, including personal and business income taxes, ad valorum or property tax disputes, business and occupation tax, and sales and use tax.
- Assists companies in determining if they are subject to taxation in other states based on nexus or minimum sufficient contacts.
Trusts and Estate Planning and Administration/Disputes
- Assists with strategic planning to minimize estate taxes.
- Prepares wills, trusts, powers of attorney and advanced directives.
- Advises on short- and long-term business succession planning, including planning for sudden founder death or incapacity and transitioning family-owned businesses to the next generation of owners.
- Administers trusts and probates.
- Represents clients and fiduciaries in probate and trust disputes, including contested probate claims, proceedings against trustees and personal representatives, and modification, dissolution or reformation of trust agreements.
Memberships & Awards
- Multnomah County Bar Association, Member
- Washington State Bar Association, Member
- Oregon State Bar Association, Tax Section and Estate Planning and Administration Section, Member
- Oregon State Bar Taxation Section Executive Committee Member-at-Large
- Oregon Women Lawyers, Member
- Oregon Asian Pacific American Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Continuing Legal Education Association, Excellence in Clinical Education Award (during her internship at the Lewis & Clark Legal Clinic)
Resources & Ideas
- Oregon State Bar, Taxation Section, New Tax Lawyers Committee, Chair, Vice Chair (2014), Secretary (2013)
- Lewis & Clark Law SchoolJuris Doctor degree, cum laude (2009)
- Pacific Lutheran UniversityBachelor of Arts, magna cum laude (2006)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
U.S. District Court of Oregon
U.S. Tax Court
U.S. Bankruptcy Court
Outside The Office
- Hiking or studying for her LL.M. in taxation.