Businesses in the energy, manufacturing and natural resources sectors regularly seek Ron Saxton’s counsel on transactional, finance, regulatory and corporate strategy issues. With a background that includes senior leadership positions in business, law, education and public policy, Ron’s unique perspective makes him an ideal legal advisor to management and boards on diverse corporate initiatives and strategies.
Before joining Schwabe, Ron was part of the executive team at global door and window manufacturer JELD-WEN for more than seven years. Serving as Executive Vice-President and Global Chief Administrative Officer, he was involved in significant business and legal activities throughout the company and around the world. During that time, Ron served on the Executive Committee of the National Association of Manufacturers (NAM), and chaired its Energy and Environmental Committees and Political Action Committee.
Prior to his role at JELD-WEN, Ron practiced law for almost 30 years and co-founded the law firm Ater Wynne, which he chaired for more than 10 years while focusing his practice on business, regulatory and energy law. A native Oregonian, Ron was a candidate for Governor of Oregon in 2006, and has been involved in a wide range of political, civic and charitable activities.
- Served as outside lead general counsel to numerous companies.
- Represented a variety of manufacturing, utility and energy companies on their finance, regulatory, contracting and environmental matters.
- Served as the lead attorney for several large infrastructure public-private partnerships (energy, transportation and water).
- Has extensive experience with state and federal regulatory agencies.
- Served as Interim General Counsel for a multi-state healthcare system.
- Advises boards and management on change of control transactions.
- Handles numerous legal/government affairs projects.
Resources & Ideas
- Mentions in: "Preserving the Legacy: Where Are They Now", Oregon Business (July 13, 2015)
- Oregon Alliance of Independent Colleges and Universities, President
- Oregon Public Broadcasting, Board of Directors
- Portland Public Schools Board
- Portland Schools Foundation, Founding President
- Led former Governor John Kitzhaber's primary and secondary education transition team on educational issues
- Oregon Education Investment Trust, Board Member
- Oregon Education Investment Board, Member
- University of Virginia School of LawJuris Doctor
- Willamette UniversityBachelor of Science
Oregon State Courts
United States Supreme Court
Outside The Office
- Fly-fishing and gardening.