Gary T. Bruce
Gary Bruce works with hospitals, health systems, and other healthcare organizations to find practical and patient-focused solutions to complex challenges. Fueled by a passion to help others, Gary has found a home in healthcare protecting his clients’ legal interests and championing initiatives that promote employee and patient wellness.
Gary spent the last 10 years of his legal career at St. Charles Health System (SCHS), most recently serving as Vice President and General Counsel. There, he provided legal advice and counsel to the board of directors, executive leadership, and medical staff while overseeing the health system’s legal and risk management departments. Prior to working at SCHS, he served as a staff attorney at Mission Health, Inc. in Asheville, North Carolina, for six years. This experience has given him an in-depth understanding of the inner workings of healthcare companies and the particular legal challenges they face.
Gary has taught health law classes for the University of Oregon’s Executive MBA Program, as well as Central Oregon Community College’s nursing program. In 2006, Gary was awarded Mission Health, Inc.’s Spirit of Martin Luther King Award for outstanding achievement in the fields of diversity and cultural awareness.
- Provided legal advice and counsel to board of directors, executive leadership, medical staff, and frontline caregivers.
- Oversaw legal and risk management departments and provided counsel on legal and risk matters.
- Worked independently and with outside counsel to defend SCHS against legal claims.
- Helped negotiate and manage relationships with outside insurers and claims administrators.
- Worked to set up accountable care and coordinated care organizations and networks.
- Helped develop policies and systems to enforce appropriate use of electronic medical records systems by outside entities.
- Helped negotiate and oversee acquisitions of hospitals and healthcare practices.
- Helped address and manage violations of medical staff bylaws, rules and regulations, and policies by physicians and other providers.
- Provided legal support to medical executive, bylaws, and credentialing committees.
- Reviewed, negotiated, and drafted hospital contracts.
- Researched and drafted policies to ensure compliance with applicable laws and standards.
- Served as resource on legal questions regarding the appropriate use and disclosure of patient information and handled claims processing.
Memberships & Awards
- Adventist Medical Center, Ethics Committee Member (2021-present)
- Oregon State Bar, Executive Committee of Health Law Section (2010-2011)
- North Carolina Bar Association, Health Law Section, Advisory Council Member & Co-Editor (2003-2005)
- Young Lawyers’ Division of the 28th Judicial District Bar, President (2004-2005)
Spirit of Martin Luther King Award, Mission Health, Inc. (2006)
Resources & Ideas
- Portland Business JournalJuly 16, 2021
- Attorney Gary Bruce Joins Schwabe’s Bend Office, Bolstering the Firm’s Healthcare and Life Sciences Industry GroupAugust 13, 2020
- Surprise Medical Bills in the Crosshairs: Supreme Court Decision Places Additional Obligations on Health Care ProvidersMay 26, 2022
- May 19, 2022
- August 6, 2021
- The Equal Access to Care Act affects certain health care entities that are interested in consummating a “material change transaction.” It is headed to the governor for signature and is not a law as of this date. July 28, 2021
- October 2020
Tour des Chutes, Board Member (2018-present)
St. Charles Health System, helped establish an employee assistance program, a pediatric reading program, and an environmental sustainability program (2009-2019)
W.C. Reid Center for Creative Arts, Board Member (2005-2008)
- ABCCM-Doctors’ Medical Clinic, Board Member (2004-2008)
- Washington and Lee School of Law, Juris Doctor degree (2000)
- University of OregonMaster of Business Administration degree (2016)
- Oregon State UniversityBachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude (1995)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
Outside The Office
- Running, hiking, cycling, and skiing.