Jason Douthit works with employers and benefits consultants to unravel employee benefits questions. For over a decade, Jason’s focus has been simplifying and explaining the Internal Revenue Code, Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), and other complex retirement and healthcare plan laws.
Jason works closely with clients to create, evolve, and terminate tax-qualified retirement plans (401(k), profit sharing, traditional pension, and cash balance plans), non-qualified executive compensation plans, and both self-insured and fully-insured employer healthcare plans and multiple employer welfare arrangements. He also counsels clients on their fiduciary obligations to these plans and proactively monitors new legislation and IRS, PBGC, and U.S. Department of Labor regulations and guidance to help clients meet their goals while staying ERISA and tax code compliant. In the mergers and acquisitions context, Jason often reviews retirement plan documents and operations, and when warranted, suggests steps to correct defects and minimize risk.
Prior to Schwabe, Jason worked at Bullard Law exclusively as an employee benefits attorney, and at Independent Actuaries, where he was a senior consultant in charge of the firm’s defined contribution retirement plan practice.
- Negotiated a substantial reduction in withdrawal liability for an employer that discontinued its contributions to a multiemployer (union) pension plan.
- Represented employers facing retirement plan audits from the IRS and U.S. Department of Labor.
- Corrected retirement plan document and operational failures through the IRS’s Voluntary Compliance Program and Self-Compliance Program.
- Counseled employers in meeting their fiduciary obligations to select and monitor service providers (e.g., third-party administrators, investment advisors, custodians, record-keepers) to their retirement and healthcare plans.
Memberships & Awards
- Oregon State Bar (2006–present)
- Multnomah Bar Association (2019–present)
- American Bar Association (2020)
- Western Pension & Benefits Council, Portland Chapter, Board Member (2016–present)
- Saint Andrew Legal Clinic, Volunteer Attorney (2011–2013)
- University of California, Davis School of LawJuris Doctor degree (2006)
- American Society of Pension Professionals & Actuaries• Defined Benefit Plan Administration Certificate (2014)
• Tax-Exempt & Governmental Plan Administration Certificate (2010)
• Retirement Plan Fundamentals Certificate (2007)
- San Francisco State UniversityBachelor of Arts, Labor Studies and Philosophy, magna cum laude (1999)
Oregon State Courts