Jeff Hern assists companies in the manufacturing, healthcare, and natural resources industries in litigation and regulatory matters.
With his litigation practice, Jeff typically represents manufacturing, energy, healthcare, and food and beverage companies in multi-district litigation, federal, and state court proceedings from early alternative dispute resolution through trial. Jeff has considerable experience defending such companies in product liability and other tort actions, as well as commercial disputes and water rights adjudications.
Jeff’s practice also focuses on advising manufacturing, healthcare, and food and beverage companies on various regulatory compliance matters. Such work includes guidance and advice on product labeling, FDA compliance, licensing requirements, and market withdrawals or recalls. Jeff works effectively with the FDA, USDA, TTB, OLCC, and other agencies, to serve the needs of his clients.
- Represented an automotive manufacturer that obtained a defense verdict at trial in wrongful death product liability litigation.
- Prevailed on summary judgment motion on the application of Oregon’s non-economic damages cap to a product liability helicopter crash case arising out of a workplace accident.
- Represented multiple national pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers as well as healthcare companies in multi-district litigation, federal, and state court proceedings.
- Represented an energy company in Oregon water rights adjudication proceedings.
- Advised food and beverage companies on numerous product labeling issues, including compliance with FDA regulations and California’s Proposition 65, as well as on market withdrawals and recalls.
- Defended food and beverage companies in litigation and enforcement proceedings related to false advertising, labeling, and food-contamination claims.
- Assisted with and secured liquor licenses from the TTB, OLCC, LCB, and other agencies for numerous distilleries, breweries, wineries, restaurants, hotels, restaurants and other retail outlets.
Memberships & Awards
- Portland Business Alliance, "Leadership Portland" Program, graduate (2014)
- International Association of Defense Counsel's Trial Academy, graduate (2009)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- American Bar Association (ABA), Food & Dietary Supplement committee
- National Association of Licensing and Compliance Professionals (NALCP)
- Oregon State Bar, Business Litigation Section
- Multnomah Bar Association, Service to the Public committee
Resources & Ideas
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Playworks Pacific Northwest, Board of Directors
- Portland Business Alliance, “Leadership Portland” organizer and speaker (2015-present)
- Willamette University College of LawJuris Doctor degree, cum laude, Certificate in Business Law Concentration (2004)
- Denison UniversityBachelor of Arts degree, Economics (1998)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon
Outside The Office
- Spending time with family and enjoying the Pacific Northwest