Jeff Hern advises and represents companies in the manufacturing, healthcare, and natural resources industries, utilizing the broad litigation and regulatory experience he has gained from doing this work in the Pacific Northwest for nearly 20 years. His unique practice offers clients a trusted advisor who can both navigate a variety of regulatory issues and serve as their lead counsel in complex litigation.
A skilled litigator, Jeff has considerable experience representing manufacturers, energy companies, insurers, and food and beverage companies in federal and state court proceedings in Oregon and Washington, from early alternative dispute resolution through trial. Representations have included defending companies in complex commercial and insurance disputes, product liability and other tort actions, water rights adjudications, and administrative proceedings.
Jeff also has extensive experience advising and guiding companies through a range of regulatory issues. He regularly assists clients with FDA compliance issues, product recalls or market withdrawals, product labeling, insurance coverage issues, and licensing requirements. Jeff works effectively with state and federal government agencies, including the FDA, USDA, FTC, and others, to serve the needs of his clients.
- Guided national manufacturer through a product recall and subsequently litigated and obtained substantial damages recovery for client from supplier.
- Served on a national manufacturer’s trial team garnering a defense verdict in wrongful death litigation.
- Prevailed at summary judgment for client and obtained significant ruling on the application of Oregon’s non-economic damages cap to a product liability action.
- Represented multiple national pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers as well as health insurers and disability and life insurers in complex litigation in federal and state court proceedings in Oregon and Washington.
- Served as lead trial counsel and prevailed for client in contested-case proceeding before state agency regarding insurance coverage dispute.
- Represented an energy company for nearly two decades in Oregon water rights adjudication
- Effectively resolved complex regulatory compliance issues for clients with various governmental agencies, including the FDA, USDA, FTC, TTB, OLCC, WSLCB, and others.
- Advised numerous manufacturers and food and beverage companies on product recalls and labeling issues, including compliance with FDA and FTC regulations as well as California’s Proposition 65.
- Assisted with securing licenses from state liquor and health agencies for distilleries, breweries, wineries, restaurants, hotels, restaurants, and other retail outlets in Oregon and Washington.
Memberships & Awards
- Portland Business Alliance, "Leadership Portland" Program, graduate (2014)
- International Association of Defense Counsel's Trial Academy, graduate (2009)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- American Bar Association (ABA), Food & Dietary Supplement committee
- National Association of Licensing and Compliance Professionals (NALCP)
- Oregon State Bar, Business Litigation Section
- Catholic Youth Organization, youth girls’ basketball coach and volunteer (2021-present)
- Milltown United Soccer Club, youth girls’ soccer coach and volunteer (2021-present)
- Playworks Pacific Northwest, Board of Directors (2011-2018)
- Willamette University College of LawJuris Doctor degree, cum laude, Certificate in Business Law Concentration (2004)
- Denison UniversityBachelor of Arts degree, Economics (1998)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon
Outside The Office
- Spending time with family and enjoying the Pacific Northwest