Joanna Lee helps organizations develop and implement intellectual property strategies, manage risk wisely, and structure their contractual relationships and governance frameworks to support their strategic goals. Joanna is a lawyer by training but a geek at heart.
Joanna assists businesses, technology standards development organizations, and open source software projects with their intellectual property, commercial contracting and corporate matters. She serves as a strategic advisor in the areas of: development, licensing and transfer of intellectual property assets; free and open source software licensing; Intellectual Property Rights policies; liaison relationships; contributor agreements; certification and testing programs and tools; specification and standards development; and proprietary licensing terms and transactions. In the Internet space, she helps clients navigate laws governing e-commerce, social media, contests, sweepstakes and promotions, and privacy and data security issues. Finally, Joanna advises on domestic and international commercial transactions, joint ventures and collaboration agreements, and on corporate structuring and governance.
Joanna counsels clients of all sizes and stages of growth, from pre-revenue start-ups to mature public companies and global technology consortia. She works with a range of industries and technologies including software, electronics, advanced manufacturing, hospitality, healthcare, clean tech and consumer products.
Memberships & Awards
- Oregon State Bar, Technology Law Section, Executive Committee (2012-2013)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals, Member
Resources & Ideas
- January 19, 2018
- European Court of Justice Judgment Finds U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework Inadequate for Protecting DataOctober 8, 2015
- August 7, 2015
- Portland Business Journal, April 15, 2015
Co-author, “European Court of Justice Judgment Finds U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework Inadequate for Protecting Data”
October 8, 2015
Panelist, “Getting Oregon’s Cybersecurity House in Order,” Cybersecurity: Technology and the Law Conference, Law Seminars International
August 14, 2015
“Ethical Obligations Related to Cybersecurity and Use of Technology in Law Practice: What Every Attorney Needs to Know,” Oregon State Bar Technology Law Section CLE
Moderator, “New Challenges in Data Security—Are You Prepared?” Technology Association of Oregon
June 5, 2013
Co-author, “Keep Your Online Sweepstakes and Contests on the Right Side of the Law,” Advertising Age
March 7, 2011
“Positioning Your Company for Investors,” Portland Fashion Synergy September Mixer
- Bradley Angle, Chair of Board of Directors (2015-2015), Member of Board of Directors (2012-2016)
- Technology Association of Oregon, Advocacy Committee, Technology and Intellectual Property Committee (2012-2013)
- Oregon Entrepreneurs Network (OEN), Past member of Entrepreneur Services Committee, Pubtalk Committee, OEN Awards Nominating Committee, and Venture Northwest Recruitment Committee
- Cornell Law SchoolJuris Doctor degree (2006)
- Carnegie Mellon UniversityBachelor of Science degree, Economics; Public Policy & Management (2003)
Oregon State Courts
Outside The Office
- Teaching Zumba® fitness and dance.