Lindsay Thane helps individuals and businesses of all sizes throughout the Northwest resolve disputes through strategic and substantive counsel on water rights and public lands issues. Lindsay’s compliance and due diligence work, coupled with her experience litigating disputes and negotiating solutions with state regulatory agencies, helps her identify the distinctions that are critical to reaching her clients’ goals.
During law school, Lindsay was an extern for Magistrate Judge Jeremiah Lynch of the U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Lindsay also served as an intern with the Solicitor’s Office for the Department of the Interior in Portland, Oregon, with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance in Washington, D.C., and for former Montana Senator Max Baucus in Washington, D.C.
- Achieved a favorable jury verdict in a negligence and contract dispute involving a failure to deliver irrigation water that caused crop losses.
- Advised a private water company in a sale to a large utility company, including conducting a water rights due diligence analysis, integrating findings into the purchase and sale agreement, and providing continued advice on water right compliance.
Memberships & Awards
- Oregon State Bar, Environmental & Natural Resources Law Section, Member
- Montana State Bar, Water Law Section, Member
- American Bar Association (ABA) National Negotiation Competition, semi-finalist (2016), competitor (2015)
- ABA Regional Negotiation Competition, champion (2014, 2015)
- University of Oregon Libraries’ Undergraduate Thesis Research Award (2014)
Resources & Ideas
- Oregon Court of Appeals Holds Hydroelectric Water Rights Do Not Automatically Convert to Permanent In-Stream Rights When Temporarily Leased for In-Stream PurposesJuly 9, 2020
- With EPA Approval, Landowners May Bring State Law Claims for Remedial Action in Addition to Ongoing Superfund CleanupMay 8, 2020
- May 7, 2020
- March 26, 2020
Brooks v. Byler, ENR Case Notes, Vol. 40, Oregon State Bar Environmental & Natural Resources Law Section, July 2020
Contributing Author, Water Resources Chapter, “Environment, Energy and Resources Law—The Year in Review,” American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy and Resources, 2016 and 2018
“Public Water District Bylaws: Untangling the Rules,” Water Gram, Idaho Rural Water Association, December 2018
“Waters of the United States: Churning with No Certainty Yet,” Water Gram, Idaho Rural Water Association, June 2018
National Wildlife Foundation v. National Marine Fisheries Service, ENR Case Notes, Vol. 29, Oregon State Bar Environmental & Natural Resources Law Section, April 2017
Speaker, “Public Meetings Laws & Procedures,” Oregon Association of Water Utilities, Seaside and Sunriver, Oregon, August 2017 and March 2018
- Women in Environment Board Member
- Women in Environment Portland Mentoring Committee Chair
- University of Montana School of LawJuris Doctor degree and certificate in Natural Resources and Environmental Law (2016)
- University of OregonBachelor of Arts degree, Political Science, cum laude (2013)
U.S. District Court, District of Montana
U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
Outside The Office
- Running, hiking, and backcountry skiing in the mountains of Oregon and Montana.