Marti McCaleb focuses on finding practical, cost-effective solutions to complex problems. Whether working with national and international construction firms, local, family-owned contractors, design professionals, or individual property owners, Marti understands that the pressures that come with a lawsuit interrupt the effective operation of her clients’ lives and businesses. Managing those outside forces are as important as managing the case itself, and Marti helps clients understand and balance both.
Bottom-line, business-focused advice for construction services
Marti helps general contractors and design professionals throughout the Northwest resolve disputes quickly and cost-effectively. She enjoys guiding her clients through a sometimes confusing and frustrating legal process, so they can go about their work building a strong vibrant region in the PNW and run their businesses more smoothly.
Strong defense against government condemnation
The ability to legally take property away from a legitimate private owner is one of the strongest powers the government has over its citizens. Marti is a passionate and tireless advocate for the rights of property owners facing eminent domain proceedings. She advises both businesses and individual property owners in these proceedings, negotiating with the government when needed to get the best value for her clients, but also prepared to litigate claims to make sure her clients get the fair value of their land.
- Represented a general contractor on a state highway project in protesting a termination for default.
- Represented a general contractor on a state construction project against a breach of contract claim by the contracting agency.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement for a general contractor in a complex multi-party dispute involving vicarious liability for a subcontractor’s work.
- Represented an architectural design firm in a multi-million dollar dispute over design and construction of a luxury condominium complex.
- Successfully negotiated a pre-litigation settlement for a specialty subcontractor in delay and design error claims against general contractor and public owner.
- Represented heavy civil contractor throughout claim process and appeal of delay and extra work claims against public owner.
Memberships & Awards
- National Association of Women in Construction
- ABA Forum on Construction Law
- Washington State Bar Association; Construction Law Section, Member; Young Lawyers Division, Member; Trial Advocacy Program Committee (2015)
- King County Bar Association, Construction Law Section
- King County Washington Women Lawyers
- American Constitution Society for Law and Policy, Puget Sound Lawyer Chapter, Chair
Resources & Ideas
- Daily Journal of Commerce, December 21, 2017
- October 31, 2017
- October 24, 2017
- October 3, 2017
- September 27, 2017
- How the WA Supreme Court Raised the Cost of Public ContractsSeptember 27, 2017
- King County Bar Bulletin, September 2016
- Legal Voice, Volunteer Attorney
- Seattle Opera BRAVO! Club, Past President
- University of Alabama Alumni Association, Seattle Chapter, Founding President
- Junior League of Seattle, Centennial Planning Chair
Seven Star Women’s Kung Fu, Outreach and Integration Coordinator
- Washington and Lee University Law SchoolJuris Doctor degree (2010)
- University of AlabamaMA, English Rhetoric and Composition (2006)
- University of AlabamaBS, Psychology; BA, English Literature (2003)
Washington State Courts
Eastern and Western District of Washington