Nika F. Aldrich
Nika Aldrich is a first-chair trial attorney who helps clients protect intellectual property in complex, high-stakes litigations. He has represented innovative companies in numerous patent disputes involving medical devices, MEMS, computer hardware, computer software, computer algorithms, textiles, apparel, and pharmaceuticals. Nika has also tried cases covering design patents, including a leading case on design patent damages. He has handled numerous appeals, including before the Federal Circuit and the Supreme Court.
In addition to his patent litigation work, Nika represents companies in trademark, copyright, misappropriation, UDRP, and "hot news" First Amendment cases in federal and state courts, and before the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). He also has experience in commercial litigation on behalf of foreign sovereigns, financial services companies, and bankruptcy debtors and creditors.
Before becoming a lawyer, Nika gained hands-on experience working in the digital sciences as a recording industry consultant. He has an extensive background in digital signal processing and other areas of recording arts technology, has published a textbook on digital audio engineering, and has been cited in Forbes and other publications for his work in digital rights management.
Nika is particularly attuned to the policy issues related to intellectual property. He previously worked at the U.N. World Intellectual Property Organization, where he studied the intersection of the U.N. Millennium Goals with international intellectual property systems.
- First-chair trial attorney in a two week patent trial involving utility and design patents, including a jury verdict awarding total profits in the first design patent trial after the Supreme Court’s landmark decision in Samsung v. Apple.
- Argued a precedential appeal to the Federal Circuit regarding an inter partes review decision concerning patents for waterproofing textiles.
- Successfully argued multiple Markman hearings, including in the fields of apparel, medical devices, and construction.
- Representing a manufacturer of glucose-sensing products in several actions in both federal courts and at the Patent Office concerning patents relating to glucose-sensing technologies.
- Has been involved in numerous inter partes review proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
- Handled multiple patent cases for a medical device manufacturer involving transducers, medical monitor design and intravascular guide wire design.
- Represented a clothing manufacturer in litigation regarding design and utility patents covering high performance textiles.
- Represented a securities exchange in copyright and misappropriation lawsuit regarding the right to list options on financial indexes.
- Obtained favorable settlements for a large pharmaceutical company in trademark, trade dress, and anti-counterfeiting cases.
- Provided pro bono legal services to a death row inmate, tenants in housing disputes, parties in divorces and students in lawsuits against schools.
- Serves as outside general counsel to the Audio Engineering Society.
Memberships & Awards
- Oregon State Bar Association, Member, Technology Section Committee
- Hon. William C. Conner Inn of Court (2013-2015)
- Super Lawyer “Rising Star - New York Metro” (Intellectual Property), 2014 and 2015
- “Toastmaster of the Year” award for public speaking
Resources & Ideas
- Oregon Business, October 11, 2017
- November 15, 2017
- November 17, 2017
- Law 360, October 3, 2017
- Patentlyo.com, October 3, 2017
- August 12, 2016
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
“Review of 2016 Patent Law Cases At The Supreme Court,” Certified Patent Valuation Analysts
July 11, 2016
“The Important But Often Overlooked Role of Design Patents”
March 29, 2015
“Wonderland: The World Under Alice,” Silicon Valley Intellectual Property Lawyer’s Association
March 9, 2015
- January 16, 2018
- August 3, 2016
- March 14, 2016
- Inside CounselMarch 4, 2016
- Portland Business Journal, February 25, 2016
- January 19, 2016
- Law 360, September 30, 2015
- September 21, 2015
"Recent Supreme Court Cases May Require More Deference in Review of Obviousness Cases," 56 IDEA 1, 1 (December 2015)
"Another Arrow in the Quiver for Patent Defendants — Federal Circuit Approves Broad Claim Construction Protocol for Inter Partes Reviews," 22 INTELL. Prop. Today, No. 3, at 10 (March 2015)
"Overbroad Patent Claims May Be Challenged Earlier in Case," Law360 (January 6, 2015)
"Recent Supreme Court Decision Results in Resolution of Patent Eligibility Issues Early in Cases," 21 Westlaw J. INTELL. Prop., No. 15, at 3 (2014)
"Federal Circuit Enforces Written Description Requirement Even for Negative Limitations and Narrower Claims," Drug Discovery News, Vol. 10 No. 1 (January 2014)
"The Increased Value of Invalidity Opinions After the Federal Circuit's Ruling in Commil USA v. Cisco Systems," 20 Westlaw J. INTELL. Prop., No. 10, at 3 (2013)
"A System of Logo-Based Disclosure of DRM On Download Products," 8 J. High Tech. L. 57 (2008)
"An Exploration of Rights Management Technologies Used in the Music Industry," B.C. INTELL. Prop. & Tech. Forum, 983 (2007)
"Unplugged: The Music Industry's Approach to Rolling Contracts on Music CDs," 6 Chi.-Kent J. INTELL. Prop. 280 (2007)
Digital Audio Explained; For the Audio Engineer, Sweetwater Press (2004)
"Exploring Dither in Floating Point Systems," Sweetwater Sound (2005)
"Digital Distortion in CD's and DVD's: The Consequences of Traditional Digital Peak Meters," Trillium Lane Labs (2003)
- Lewis & Clark School of Law, Adjunct Professor, patent law and policy
- Purdue UniversityBachelor of Arts degree (2004)
- University of WashingtonJuris Doctor degree (2007)
Oregon State Courts
New York State Courts
Washington State Courts
United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
United States District Court for the Western District of New York
United States District Court for the District of Oregon
United States District Court for the Western District of Washington
United States Supreme Court
Outside The Office
- Running, including the New York City Marathon.