Patrick J. Cleary
Patrick Cleary represents clients on a wide variety of real estate and business transactions. He recognizes that every situation is unique and provides a detailed approach that allows him to deliver value to each client.
In law school, Patrick was part of the Entrepreneurial Business Law Clinic, where he represented start-up, non-profit, and early stage companies in a wide array of transactional matters ranging from entity selection to financing.
These experiences helped him develop his research- and contracts-related skills, preparing him for a career in transactional law. Patrick was also an Articles Editor for The Ohio State Law Journal as well as the Vice President of General Fundraising for Ohio State’s Public Interest Law Foundation. Patrick served as an Extern with the Federal Public Defender for the Southern District of Ohio Capital Habeas Unit, and as a Law Clerk with The Ohio State University Office of Legal Affairs.
Patrick spent his 2019 summer with Schwabe as a Summer Associate.
- Counseled a large non-profit organization through entity selection and tax exemption.
- Drafted formation documents and equity agreements for early stage corporations.
- Researched and analyzed questions of law regarding complex real estate and regulatory matters.
- Advised an early stage company on equity and debt based financing options.
Memberships & Awards
- Multnomah Bar Association, Member (2020-present)
- Ohio State Law Journal, Staff Editor (2018-2019)
- Ohio State Law Journal, Articles Editor (2019-2020)
- Public Interest Law Foundation, Vice President of Fundraising (2018-2019)
- Public Service Fellow, Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (2020)
- Eminent Scholar Award, Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (2017-2020)
- Vice President for Student Affairs Outstanding Leadership Award, Adams State University (2017)
Resources & Ideas
- December 9, 2020
- Daily Journal of Commerce OregonJuly 15, 2021
- March 26, 2021
- March 3, 2021
- Cleary, Patrick, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Why IRC § 280E Is Not the Industry Killer It Is Portrayed to Be (August 20, 2019). Ohio State Public Law Working Paper Series, No. 496, Drug Enforcement and Policy Center, No. 11, September 2019, available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3440110 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3440110
- Cleary, Patrick J., Decreasing Ambiguity in Ohio: A Value Based Sentencing Structure for Possession of a Controlled Substance (April 1, 2020). Ohio State Public Law Working Paper No. 539, Drug Enforcement and Policy Center, No. 18, April 2020, available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3566026 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3566026
- Tenant Advocacy Project, Pro Bono Volunteer (2018)
- Ohio State University Moritz College of LawJuris Doctor degree, cum laude (2020)
- Adams State University, Bachelor of Arts degree, Political Science and History, summa cum laude (2017)
Oregon State Courts
Outside The Office
- Chasing fish.