Patrick J. Cleary
Patrick Cleary represents clients on a wide variety of real estate and business transactions and enjoys helping clients navigate complex issues to bring their goals to fruition. He recognizes that every situation is unique and provides a detailed approach that allows him to deliver value to each client.
Patrick first developed a penchant for transactional work in law school where he represented start-up, non-profit, and early-stage companies as part of the Entrepreneurial Business Law Clinic. He now regularly represents clients in the acquisition, disposition, and operation of timberlands and agricultural property. In addition, Patrick assists clients on a wide variety of leasing and commercial property transactions throughout the Pacific Northwest.
Patrick spent his 2019 summer with Schwabe as a Summer Associate.
- Advised Timber Investment Management Organizations on small tract dispositions and operational matters
- Advised farmers and agricultural property owners on corporate organization, governance, real property, and operational matters
- Advised large financial institution on sale leaseback transaction
- Drafted and negotiated purchase and sale agreements and commercial office leases
- Drafted formation documents and equity agreements for early-stage corporations.
- Reviewed and analyzed title commitments, surveys, and other real property-related documents
- Researched and analyzed questions of law regarding complex real estate and regulatory matters.
Memberships & Awards
- American Bar Association, Environment, Energy, and Resources Section, Forest Resources Committee Member (2022-present)
- Oregon State Bar, Agricultural Law Section, Member (2021-present)
- Oregon State Bar, Real Estate and Land Use Section, Member (2021-present)
- Ohio State Law Journal, Staff Editor (2018-2019), Articles Editor (2019-2020)
- Public Service Fellow, Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (2020)
- Eminent Scholar Award, Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (2017-2020)
- Vice President for Student Affairs Outstanding Leadership Award, Adams State University (2017)
Resources & Ideas
- December 9, 2020
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Chemeketa Community CollegeMarch 1, 2022
- Daily Journal of CommerceNovember 18, 2022
- October 15, 2022
- March 9, 2022
- February 4, 2022
- Daily Journal of Commerce OregonJuly 15, 2021
- March 26, 2021
- March 3, 2021
Decreasing Ambiguity in Ohio: A Value Based Sentencing Structure for Possession of a Controlled Substance
Ohio State Public Law Working Paper No. 539, Drug Enforcement and Policy Center, No. 18, April 2020
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Why IRC § 280E Is Not the Industry Killer It Is Portrayed to Be Ohio State Public Law Working Paper No. 496, Drug Enforcement and Policy Center, No. 11 September 2019
- Ohio State University Moritz College of LawJuris Doctor degree, cum laude (2020)
- Adams State University, Bachelor of Arts degree, Political Science and History, summa cum laude (2017)
Oregon State Courts
Outside The Office
- Chasing fish.