Robert D. Dayton
Bob Dayton helps individuals, couples and business owners plan their estates and inter-generational transfers of assets and wealth, including all aspects of state and federal gift, estate and income tax planning. Bob has earned a reputation for carefully thinking through the transfer of assets and the choice of trustees and other fiduciaries.
Flexible planning for changing times
With the changing laws and times, Bob recognizes that adaptability is an important feature of successful estate-planning strategies. He is creative in using disclaimers, family agreements and other methods to answer his clients’ needs. Bob helps clients decide the structure and type of gifts to their children, including gifts of stock, partnerships, limited liability companies, and real estate and liquid assets. In addition, he assists clients with healthcare directives.
Creating your legacy
Bob often works with clients to use charitable gifts and devises for both tax and philanthropic purposes. He has helped create numerous charitable lead and remainder trusts, outright gifts and private foundations.
- Assisted numerous trustees and personal representatives, both individuals and corporate, in the administration of trusts and estates, including tax matters. Often, these are large estates with complex assets and issues.
Memberships & Awards
- Portland Estate Planning Council, Member
- Portland Estate Planning Council, President (1987-1988)
- Portland State University Foundation Board of Trustees, Former Member
- American College of Trust and Estates Council, Fellow (1990 - present)
- Best Lawyers in America award, Trusts and Estates
- Super Lawyers award, Law & Politics magazine
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Pre-eminent rating
Oregon Super Lawyers, Estate Planning & Probate (2016)
Resources & Ideas
- August 15, 2017
- Designation honors attorneys in the top 5 percent of their legal fieldJuly 10, 2017
- August 19, 2016
- August 1, 2016
- January 16, 2018
- Oregon College of Arts and Crafts, Board of Directors, Former Member
- Oregon College of Arts and Crafts, Foundation Board, Former Member
- Robert W. Franz Cancer Research Leadership Cabinet at Providence Hospital, Portland, Emeritus Member
- University of Miami School of LawMaster of Laws degree, Estate Planning (1976)
- Willamette UniversityBachelor of Science in Law degree (1967)
- Willamette University College of LawJuris Doctor degree (1968)
Oregon State Courts
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States Tax Court
Outside The Office
- The annual deer and elk hunt with family and friends is a must!