Stephanie K. Holmberg
Stephanie Holmberg assists clients in all aspects of their work, helping to keep their businesses securely moving forward. From drafting and negotiating contracts on the front end of a project, to effectively resolving disputes that arise down the road, Stephanie’s strong communication and negotiation skills ensure that her clients are strategically positioned for success at every stage. Stephanie leads Schwabe’s Construction Service Team, a group of attorneys from various disciplines committed to serving the needs of construction-industry clients through continued education and advocacy.
As former in-house counsel to a national electric utility contractor, Stephanie has extensive knowledge of the construction industry and the unique issues project owners and contractors face. Her industry experience enables Stephanie to see matters from the client’s perspective and provide legal advice that incorporates business objectives and priorities.
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Represented local architecture firm in payment dispute against homeowner, including defense against counterclaims and third-party claims.
- Defended a national electrical utility contractor in complex construction litigation involving claims for breach of contract and delay.
- Represented local homebuilder in breach of contract claim against a homeowner for nonpayment. Assisted in negotiating a favorable settlement.
- Successfully appealed issuance of occupational safety and health citations based on serious injury incidents on behalf of national electrical utility contractor.
- Defended national railroad companies in employee actions under Federal Employers Liability Act and Locomotive Inspection Act. Obtained favorable settlements in every instance.
Contract Drafting and Negotiation
- Assist national energy supply company in developing delivery project methods and drafting associated construction contracts for several projects in the Northwest region.
- Draft and negotiate prime contracts, subcontracts and purchase orders for owners, general contractors and subcontractors, including but not limited to AIA and ConsensusDocs documents.
- Review and revise remodeling contracts for commercial and residential property owners and contractors.
Memberships & Awards
- National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC), Portland Chapter – Board of Directors
- Pittock Mansion Society – Board of Directors
- Associated General Contractors, Oregon-Columbia Chapter, Professional and Industry Associates Council, Member
- American Bar Association, Construction Industry Forum, Member
- Association of Corporate Counsel, Member (2012-2014)
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel, Member
- Multnomah Bar Association, Member
- Oregon State Bar, Member
- Oregon DJC's Women of Vision (2017)
Resources & Ideas
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Co-Presenter, “The More Things Change…The Latest Case Law and Statutory Developments,” The Seminar Group: Oregon Construction Law, September 2016
- Co-Presenter, “Deconstructing Construction Contracts,” HalfMoon Education Inc.: Construction Contract Workshop, October 2016
- Co-Presenter, “Key Provisions in Washington and Oregon Construction Contracts,” National Association of Women in Construction, Portland Chapter, May 2017
- Daily Journal of Commerce Oregon, February 21, 2017
- Daily Journal of Commerce Oregon, July 27, 2016
- Daily Journal of Commerce Oregon, August 24, 2015
- Daily Journal of Commerce Oregon, January 27, 2015
- Oregon Law Center, Volunteer Attorney
- Oregon Health and Science University, Center for Women's Health, Circle of Giving
- Lewis & Clark Law SchoolJuris Doctor
- Vanderbilt UniversityBachelor of Arts
Oregon State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon
Outside The Office
- Spending time with my husband and daughter, hiking locally, trying new recipes, and playing with our dog, Ranger.