Stephanie K. Holmberg
As co-leader of Schwabe’s Real Estate and Construction industry group, Stephanie Holmberg helps owners, developers, contractors and design professionals resolve disputes at the administrative level and in state and federal courts. She also navigates clients through the public works bidding process and regularly assists with bid protests. Drafting and negotiating contracts is another service Stephanie performs and are topics on which she routinely presents.
Stephanie is former in-house counsel to a national electrical utility contractor and has experience in all aspects of project development and claims resolution. She understands and appreciates her clients’ business priorities. Those considerations, along with her industry knowledge and involvement, make her an effective advocate for her clients.
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Represented local architecture firm in payment dispute against homeowner, including defense against counterclaims and third-party claims.
- Defended a national electrical utility contractor in complex construction litigation involving claims for breach of contract and delay.
- Represented local homebuilder in breach of contract claim against a homeowner for nonpayment. Assisted in negotiating a favorable settlement.
- Successfully appealed issuance of occupational safety and health citations based on serious injury incidents on behalf of national electrical utility contractor.
- Defended national railroad companies in employee actions under Federal Employers Liability Act and Locomotive Inspection Act. Obtained favorable settlements in every instance.
Contract Drafting and Negotiation
- Assist national energy supply company in developing delivery project methods and drafting associated construction contracts for several projects in the Northwest region.
- Draft and negotiate prime contracts, subcontracts and purchase orders for owners, general contractors and subcontractors, including but not limited to AIA and ConsensusDocs documents.
- Review and revise remodeling contracts for commercial and residential property owners and contractors.
Memberships & Awards
- National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC), Portland Chapter – Board of Directors
- Pittock Mansion Society – Board of Directors
- Associated General Contractors, Oregon-Columbia Chapter, Professional and Industry Associates Council, Member
- American Bar Association, Construction Industry Forum, Member
- Association of Corporate Counsel, Member (2012-2014)
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel, Member
- Multnomah Bar Association, Member
- Oregon State Bar, Member
- Oregon DJC's Women of Vision (2017)
Resources & Ideas
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Co-Presenter, "Specialty Contractors Council Success EDU Session – Safety Culture: The Care and Feeding of Your Dinosaur," Associated General Contractors of Oregon, June 2018
- Co-Presenter, “Appellate Law Update,” Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, June 2018
- Co-Presenter, “Architect and Contractor: Friend or Foe?” American Institute of Architects, March 2018
- Co-Presenter, “Key Provisions in Washington and Oregon Construction Contracts,” National Association of Women in Construction, Portland Chapter, May 2017
- Co-Presenter, “Deconstructing Construction Contracts,” HalfMoon Education Inc.: Construction Contract Workshop, October 2016
- Co-Presenter, “The More Things Change…The Latest Case Law and Statutory Developments,” The Seminar Group: Oregon Construction Law, September 2016
- August 21, 2018
- The Pitfalls of a Poorly Drafted Lien ReleaseOregon State Bar, Construction Law Section, Construction Law Newsletter, Summer 2018
- Daily Journal of Commerce Oregon, April 2, 2018
- Daily Journal of Commerce Oregon, February 21, 2017
- Daily Journal of Commerce Oregon, July 27, 2016
- Daily Journal of Commerce Oregon, August 24, 2015
- Daily Journal of Commerce Oregon, January 27, 2015
- Oregon Law Center, Volunteer Attorney
- Oregon Health and Science University, Center for Women's Health, Circle of Giving
- Lewis & Clark Law SchoolJuris Doctor
- Vanderbilt UniversityBachelor of Arts
Oregon State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon
Outside The Office
- Spending time with my husband and daughter, hiking locally, trying new recipes, and playing with our dog, Ranger.