How I represent clients at Schwabe
I help clients navigate the myriad of issues facing the ports and maritime industry. My diverse legal background and commitment to understanding the intricacies of my client’s needs results in a multifaceted approach to translating problems into workable solutions.
I have 30 years of experience representing ship owners and operators, P&I Clubs, and insurers. I deliver practical and actionable counsel to my clients in the maritime industry and beyond, including providing advice regarding insurance coverage.
As environmental laws and regulations become more complex and demanding, I assist clients with guidance on regulation and litigation matters in the maritime, insurance, and energy sectors.
- Successfully recovered well in excess of $150 million for clients over the course of his career, with the largest recovery just under $100 million.
- Extensive civil and criminal claims experience arising from large oil spills.
- Represented ship owners and their insurers in numerous marine casualties, including the total loss of a large commercial vessel and rigs, government investigations and casualty investigations.
- Skilled in white-collar criminal investigations of clients in heavily regulated industries, including marine salvage, medical malpractice and personal injury claims.
- Handled numerous natural resource damages assessments under the Oil Pollution Act of 1990.
- University of Oregon School of Law, Juris Doctor degree, Ocean and Coastal Law (1988)
- George Mason University, Master of Science degree, Environmental Biology (1985)
- College of William & Mary, Bachelor of Science degree, Biology/Philosophy (1982)
- Alaska State Courts
- American Maritime Cases, Anchorage Editor (1994-present)
- Litigation Counsel of America
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Super Lawyers (2011-2021)
- Best Lawyers in America Award, Admiralty and Maritime Law (2007-2022)
- Who’s Who Legal (Shipping)
Spending time in the great outdoors.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox