How I represent clients at Schwabe
With over three decades of experience, my legal practice centers on Trademark, Copyright, Internet, and Advertising law. Clients in the retail, consumer products, outdoor, apparel, and footwear sectors seek my advice in developing, managing, and protecting their brand portfolios. I also represent the U.S. interests of European clients, primarily those located in Germany and Switzerland.
My practice encompasses a range of services, including counseling, prosecution, portfolio management, enforcement, and dispute resolution, all tailored to my clients’ varying needs. I have significant experience with the registration and enforcement of colors, product designs, and other types of trade dress.
I am versed in administrative trademark and domain name disputes, including trademark oppositions and cancellations before the USPTO’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Proceeding (UDRP) arbitration matters.
In addition to working with clients, I enjoy being an adjunct professor of intellectual property law at the University of Washington.
“Jim is a trusted counsellor who provides excellent guidance on worldwide trademark portfolio development.” – World Trademark Review comment
- Represented a renowned artist in coordinating a criminal trademark prosecution with prosecutors, resulting in a guilty plea and prison sentence from the sale of counterfeit artwork.
- Conducted a successful trademark opposition for a temporary staffing provider.
- Represented a national financial services provider in administrative domain name litigation.
- Advised an apparel company on domestic and international trademark registration of key brands.
- Represented an apparel company in trademark enforcement that resulted in an entry of stipulated permanent injunction and return of the rejected footwear.
- Indiana University, Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Juris Doctor (1993)
- University of Michigan, Bachelor of Arts in English and German (1987)
- Washington State Courts
- Vermont State Courts
International Trademark Association (2004-present)
- Named Copyright Law Lawyer of the Year for Seattle by Best Lawyers in America ® (2023)
- World Trademark Review 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professional, Washington Silver Band (2014-2023)
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America ®, Copyright Law, Trademark Law (2013-2024)
- Recognized as an IP Star by Managing IP (2013, 2014, 2016-2023)
- “Will Supreme Court Issue Preclusion Ruling Give TTAB Decisions More Bite?” (2015)
- “Trademark Applicant Ordered to Pay PTO’s Attorneys’ Fees in District Court Appeal,” Washington Metropolitan Area Corporate Counsel Association Newsletter (2014)
- Seattle Tennis and Education Foundation, Advisory Board Member (2019-present)
- Washington Lawyers for the Arts Legal Clinic, Staff Attorney and Former Board Member (2004-2015)
Get in touch
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox