How I represent clients at Schwabe
I provide practical and strategic guidance to public entities and private companies regarding land development and permitting matters, spanning various property types such as residential, office, industrial, retail, healthcare, large public infrastructure projects and natural resource lands. I work closely with clients to provide cost-effective service that helps save time and money while achieving their development goals.
I have extensive experience in all facets of land development, including managing and coordinating consultant teams, negotiating with government agencies, representing public and private developers in land use litigation, and defending project permits in administrative and judicial appeals. Additionally, I assist clients in negotiating development agreements and resolving disputes concerning boundary lines, easements, covenants, or regulatory compliance issues.
- Drafted development agreements for a corporate headquarters project in Issaquah, Washington, and for a large business-park development in Redmond, Washington.
- Responsible for securing permits and defending against appeals for a 1,000-lot residential subdivision in Lacy, Washington.
- Represented a litigation case before the Washington Supreme Court regarding the sale of surplus property owned by the Washington State Department of Transportation to a private developer.
- Represented a client seeking land use permitting for a 170,000-square-foot retail center in Maple Valley, Washington.
- Handled due diligence, land use permitting, and real property negotiations for over 20 new grocery stores, major renovations, or fuel facility additions, which encompassed negotiations related to parcel division, easements, impact fees, and dedications.
- Handled permitting and easement issues for several Seattle-area real estate properties, including obtaining land use permits and easements and litigating floatplane access issues.
- Successfully defended a hospital against alleged code violations in Seattle.
- Responsible for obtaining wetland and shoreline permits for a water desalination plant and buried-bank protection system to protect commercial development from encroaching stream.
- University of Puget Sound, School of Law, Juris Doctor degree, summa cum laude (1992)
- Pennsylvania State University, Bachelor of Science (1984)
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Washington
- American Bar Association, State and Local Government Law Section (1992-present)
- Washington State Bar Association, Environmental and Land Use and Litigation Sections (1992-present)
- International Council of Shopping Centers, Member (2005-present)
- Law Review, Associate Editor 1991-1992
- American Jurisprudence Awards in Corporations, Remedies, and Torts
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America®, Land Use and Zoning Law, Real Estate Law (2024)
Washington Real Property Deskbook chapters on Lateral/Subjacent Support and Party Walls (2022)
- The Mountaineers, Board of Directors (2014-2020)
- The Mountaineers Peak Society (2015-present)
- PADI Divemaster (2015-present)
I enjoy exploring caves and finding natures hidden secrets.
Get in touch
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox