How I represent clients at Schwabe
Providing proactive, common-sense legal advice on employment issues for companies operating in the Pacific Northwest is my main focus.
As service group leader of Schwabe’s Employment and Labor practice group, I work with a wide array of companies but have particular experience in the timber, agricultural, construction, and emerging technology industries. While my goal is always to help prevent or resolve disputes before litigation, I have extensive experience defending companies against claims of discrimination, retaliation and wage issues (including class actions) in administrative and court proceedings. In addition, I regularly represent companies in non-competition, non-solicitation and trade secret misappropriation disputes.
I have represented clients in securities-related matters since 2002, primarily broker-dealers involved in employment and customer-related disputes in Financial Industry Regulatory Authority arbitration. Appreciating the drivers behind each dispute (from the claimant’s and respondent’s perspectives) and the respective business issues, I am proactive and creative in resolving disputes.
“I have worked with Stephanie Berntsen for a number of years. She’s amazing. Very smart, knowledgeable and responsive.”
– Venture General Contracting
- Regularly advise and defend a timber client in multiple employment-related discrimination issues and disputes.
- Successfully represented and resolved a disability discrimination and retaliation lawsuit on behalf of a Fortune 500 shipping company arising from an alleged mental health disability that created unique evidentiary challenges.
- Successfully defended and resolved a series of customer disputes against a broker-dealer regarding the suitability of Real Estate Investment Trust investments. These matters involved nearly 200 individual claimants.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order on behalf of a maritime client in a unique employee dishonesty matter.
- Provide proactive advice and counsel to construction and emerging technology clients on disability, Family and Medical Leave Act, wage classification, independent contractor agreements, retaliation-related issues, hiring, background checks, and termination.
- Represented clients in preliminary injunction hearings arising from the enforcement or defense of non-compete and non-solicitation agreements.
- Represented financial services firms in enforcement of non-competition and non-solicitation agreements in both court and in arbitration.
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of a national play structure manufacturer against gender discrimination and retaliation claims arising from a dress code violation.
- University of California, Davis, School of Law, Juris Doctor degree (2000)
- Colby College, Bachelor of Arts degree (1995)
- California State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court - Central District of California
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Washington
- Mentoring Association of Mother Attorneys of Seattle (“MAMA Seattle”), Immediate Past President, Board of Directors (2009-present)
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers, Employment Section, Co-Chair (2014-2015)
- California State Bar, Member
- Washington State Bar, Member
- King County Bar Association, Member
- Selected to the Washington Super Lawyers Top 50 Women Attorneys List (2015-2018)
- Selected to the Washington Super Lawyers List, Employment & Labor (2014-2023)
- Seattle Met Magazine, Top 50 Women Lawyers, Super Lawyers (December 2015)
- Rising Star (2003-2013)
Work Force Development Center, Board of Directors, President and Secretary (2006-2015)
Nordic and alpine skiing, golf, tennis (when it’s not raining), slow jogs, long walks and playing with my children.
Get in touch
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox