Aukjen T. Ingraham
Aukjen (pronounced “owk-yen”) Ingraham is an experienced litigator and trial lawyer with more than 16 years of experience in administrative, state, federal, and appellate courts. Her focus is on railroad and transportation law, with a particular emphasis on catastrophic injury. She also advises on disaster preparedness, incident response and crisis management.
Aukjen is particularly experienced in handling complex litigation, most recently in a construction contract dispute spanning five years. Above all, she is a problem solver, working with clients to attain the best results in difficult situations.
A pioneer in rapid response
When accidents and other significant events occur, clients often call on Aukjen for real-time, on-scene counsel. In response to this need, in 2015 Aukjen founded Schwabe’s Rapid Response Team, a group of lawyers dedicated to responding immediately to an incident. Whether it’s the investigation of an accident, a first-time situation or an environmental issue, Aukjen and Schwabe’s response team are available to assist.
- Successfully resolved a $500,000 contract dispute in the environmental services industry.
- Obtained dismissal of a $25 million personal injury and products liability lawsuit against a small, family-owned business.
- Successfully defended over 25 wrongful death and catastrophic injury cases as both first and second chair, including traumatic brain injury claims.
- Dine Citizens et al v. Bureau of Indian Affairs, 9th Circuit, July 29, 2019; affirming district court dismissal of case pursuant to FRCP 19 and based on tribal sovereign immunity (argued)
- Figueroa v. BNSF, 351 Or 142 (2017); ordering circuit court to dismiss case against BNSF Railway Company based on lack of general personal jurisdiction.
- SAIF v. Hoffman, 193 Or App 750 (2004) upholding insurer responsibility for hearing loss claim in workers compensation case
Memberships & Awards
- NARTC Member, Environmental Committee (2012 - present)
- Multnomah Bar Association, Member (2003 - present)
- Oregon Rising Stars List (2011-2012, 2014-2016)
- Myron Ells Prize for History, Whitman College (1998)
Resources & Ideas
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
Moderator, Schwabe Maritime Safety Summit
Portland, Oregon, May 2017
Speaker, Joint Liability, National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
Phoenix, Arizona, March 2017
Speaker, Apartments vs. Condos
AIA Portland, Portland, Oregon, November 2016
Speaker, Construction Contracts
Halfmoon Education, Portland, Oregon, October 2016
Speaker, Damages, National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
Sun Valley, Idaho, February 2016
Speaker, “Marijuana Legalization, Drug Testing and Maritime Employer Liability,”
Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt, Portland, Oregon, January 2016
Speaker, “Discovery—Beyond the Basics"
Oregon Paralegal Association Annual Meeting, Seaside, Oregon, October 2014
- December 26, 2017
- September 25, 2017
- With the Supreme Court Poised to Address Personal Jurisdiction Again, State High Courts Reject Attempts to Evade Daimler v. BaumanThe WLF Legal Pulse, April 19, 2017
- July 1, 2016
- DJC Oregon, December 15, 2015
- Friends of the Children Scholarship Committee (2011-2018)
- Portland State University, Advisory Board to the School of Urban & Public Affairs (2008-2011)
- University of New MexicoMasters in Latin American Studies, 2003
- University of New Mexico School of LawJuris Doctor, 2002
- Whitman CollegeBachelor of Arts Degree in History, Minor in Spanish, 1998
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States District Court, District of Eastern Washington
United States District Court, District of Western Washington
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
United States Supreme Court
Outside The Office
- Soccer—coaching my sons, loudly supporting my beloved Portland Timbers or traveling to watch world-class soccer with my family.