David R. Ebel
David Ebel helps clients resolve disputes in securities, financial services and business matters. David approaches each litigation matter with one goal: to provide optimal value to his clients. He actively works with his clients at the outset of every matter to establish their goals and develop a measured plan to achieve those goals efficiently and cost-effectively.
As lead counsel in hundreds of commercial disputes over his 17 years of practice, David has extensive experience representing clients in state and federal courts and before a wide range of arbitrators and mediators. Depending on client goals, David works with his clients to resolve disputes prior to litigation, but also tries cases to verdict when necessary. David helps clients resolve matters ranging from violations of the securities, fraudulent transfer and trade secret acts to breach of contract and/or fiduciary obligations to bankruptcy and creditor rights.
David has been the Co-chair of Schwabe’s Commercial Litigation practice group since 2012.
• Successfully represented broker-dealers in a wide variety of National Association of Securities Dealers/Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (NASD/FINRA) arbitration cases.
• Represented dozens of clients in actions concerning securities fraud and Ponzi schemes.
• Regularly represents clients in litigation matters involving alleged violations of the Washington State Securities Act.
• Represented a claimant in NASD/FINRA arbitration that resulted in what is believed to have been the largest single-customer award in Washington history at the time.
Breach of Contract
• Won a complete award of full principal and attorney fees for client in a breach of contract and successor liability trial in King County Superior Court.
• Obtained dismissal with prejudice of breach of contract and negligent misrepresentation case for clients within three months of commencement of litigation.
• Resolved an LLC member dispute involving complicated trade secret, contract and damages issues.
• Obtained a full defense verdict and attorney fee award in fully litigated commercial lease dispute.
• Obtained a summary judgment dismissal of a breach of contract action within two months of taking over representation.
• Represents lenders in breach of loan agreement actions.
Breach of Fiduciary Duty
• Represents plaintiffs and defendants in director and officer breach of fiduciary duty cases.
• Represents numerous clients in securities actions alleging or defending breach of fiduciary duty claims.
• Successfully defended client in multiple shareholder strike suits brought in connection with client's acquisition of a public company.
• Served as local counsel in a breach of fiduciary duty and RICO case alleging damages in excess of $150,000,000.
• Represents plaintiffs and defendants in actions involving alleged violations of the Uniform and Washington Trade Secrets Act.
• Represents plaintiffs and defendants in state, federal and bankruptcy court actions involving alleged fraudulent transfers of assets by debtors.
Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights
• Regularly represents creditors in bankruptcy court and related adversary proceedings.
• Advises and represents clients in connection with creditors' rights and debt collection issues.
• Represents clients in enforcing secured rights in collateral.
Memberships & Awards
- Washington State Bar Association, Business Litigation and Securities Litigation Sections
- King County Bar Association, Member
- Washington Super Lawyers, Business Litigation (2014-2018)
Resources & Ideas
- Super LawyersJune 21, 2018
- 12 of Schwabe’s Washington attorneys recognized as being in the top 5 percent of their fieldJune 12, 2017
- 14 of Schwabe’s Washington attorneys recognized as being in the top 5 percent of their fieldJune 16, 2016
- August 21, 2012
- YouthForce, Advisory Board, Former Member
- Seattle Prep School Alumni, Board Member (2003-2013)
- King County Bar Association Greenwood Neighborhood Legal Clinic, Pro Bono Volunteer Attorney
- Seattle Tennis Council, Member
- Seattle University School of LawJuris Doctor degree, cum laude (1998)
- Whitman CollegeBachelor of Arts degree in Economics (1993)
Washington State Courts
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
United States District Court, District of Western Washington
Outside The Office
- Skiing, competitive tennis and spending time with my wife and four daughters.