Joel A. Parker
Joel Parker has a well-earned reputation for excellence in helping clients resolve disputes related to real estate and natural resources. He has a deep understanding of the nuances of complex litigation, finance, real estate and resources in the Pacific Northwest.
An experienced trial lawyer, Joel represents clients in state and federal courts as well as arbitration. He has tried numerous cases to verdict and often represents clients seeking emergency and accelerated relief.
Comprehensive industry experience
Joel’s clients include national and local financial institutions, manufacturers, distributors and other entities involved in matters relating to real property. He often represents individuals in closely held companies who are seeking to protect and enforce their rights.
Joel handles a wide range of disputes involving leases, landlord/tenant relationships, boundaries, financing, lender liability, trust litigation, Fair Credit Reporting Act foreclosure actions, and Articles 3 and 4 of the Uniform Commercial Code. He assists banks and other creditors with debt collection and loan workouts. In addition, Joel represents timber companies and manufacturers of wood products and other natural resources in disputes relating to easements, buy/sell agreements, sales of goods, and warranties.
Practical and accessible
A firm believer in accessibility, Joel is on-call for clients around the clock. He prides himself on providing candid, practical advice. While known as a smart, aggressive litigator, he understands that in all business disputes the goal is to resolve the problem, not necessarily to go to battle.
- Obtained summary judgment for a TIMO and dismissal with prejudice in claim by the plaintiff relating to option to purchase certain real property in timberlands in Snoqualmie forest.
- Obtained a restraining order and injunction for a commercial tenant improperly locked out of its space by landlord, which threatened the client’s business operations and reputation. Negotiated significant monetary settlement that allowed client to maintain and enhance its reputation and business.
- Successfully defended the YMCA in a $950,000 lawsuit relating to the sale of its facility and assignment of lease. Obtained dismissal with prejudice for thw client without any compensation being paid to plaintiff. Portland Sports Club LLC v. the Young Men’s Christian Association of Columbia-Willamette.
- Won arbitration award for minority member of limited liability company against other member in dispute between relating to the management of a restaurant, breach of lease, violations of the parties operating agreement, and dissolution.
- Successfully defended the client in multiple multi-party lawsuits relating to membership dispute in various limited liability corporations, fraud, real property ownership, and performance under lease. Achieved beneficial settlement allowing the client to retain commercial property and satisfy all personal obligations in separation with adverse parties.
- Successfully defended party to contract relating to services intended to bring certain real property into urban growth boundary. Obtained a monetary settlement requiring the plaintiff to pay client and dismiss case with prejudice. Westfair Associates v. Arthur Piculell.
- Obtained a restraining order and injunction for the client enforcing sale agreement for residential property worth over $2 million. Ultimately achieved settlement that compensated the client for attorney fees and expenses.
Memberships & Awards
- Multnomah Bar Association, Member Judicial Screening Committee (2012-2014); Chair (2014)
- Oregon State Bar – Litigation Section, Member
- Oregon State Bar New Lawyer Mentor Program, Mentor (2013-2016_
- Multnomah Athletic Club, House Committee (2005-2008); Chair (2008)
- Make-a-Wish Foundation of Oregon and Southwest Washington, Chairman (2016)
- Make-a-Wish Foundation of Oregon and Southwest Washington, Board Member (2011-2016)
- National Kidney Foundation of Oregon/Washington, Board Member and Secretary (2002-2007)
- Best Lawyers in America Award, Commercial Litigation (2016-2019)
- Oregon Super Lawyers, Business Litigation (2016-2018)
- Ranked "Notable Practitioner" for General/Commercial Litigation Lawyers in Oregon, Chambers USA (2018)
Resources & Ideas
- August 15, 2018
- 33 Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt Attorneys Named to Oregon Super Lawyers and Rising Stars List in 2018Super LawyersJuly 24, 2018
- May 14, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- Designation honors attorneys in the top 5 percent of their legal fieldJuly 10, 2017
- Six practice areas and 20 attorneys singled out for excellenceJune 5, 2017
- August 19, 2016
- August 1, 2016
- Indiana UniversityBachelor of Arts degree (1995)
- University of Oregon School of LawJuris Doctor degree, order of the coif (1999)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Outside The Office
- Spending time with his wife and four young boys, being humbled by the golf course, and rooting for his Ducks and Hoosiers.